About the Organization:
The Financial Clinic has demonstrated a “gold standard” model for building financial security for working poor families. A high-performing organization with a focus on results, the Clinic has put over $70 million back in the pockets of more than 47,000 customers, supported more than 420 organizations in 38 states and districts embed financial security actions into their program models, and successfully launched several policy campaigns in support of working poor families. A landmark national study shows the Clinic’s model of financial coaching helps working poor families move toward financial security.
The Financial Clinic is looking for an Assistant Director of Services who is excited to support its well-established services in New York City and its national expansion. Working closely with the Director of Program Innovation and financial coaching team, the Assistant Director of Services leads the Clinic’s efforts to achieve financial coaching results of the highest quality. He or she should have a background or interest in coaching or social work and should bring both analytical ability and strong communication to this role. In addition, the Assistant Director of Services will administer the Clinic’s VITA program, and will work to expand the Clinic’s remote VITA preparation and connect tax preparation services with other asset-building opportunities. Finally, this person will also support the Clinic’s partnership-based “ecosystem” work, which combines the Clinic’s lasting change, capacity building, and direct services to achieve sustainability for partners.
Key Responsibilities: Reporting to the Clinic’s Director of Program Innovation, the Assistant Director of Services will be responsible for the following:
Leadership of the Clinic’s Financial Coaching Work
- Provide direct day-to-day supervision to the financial coaches and Managers of Service Delivery on the Clinic’s team.
- Work with the Director of Program Innovation and Senior Financial Coach to continuously improve the performance of the Clinic’s financial coaches.
- Work with the Associate Director of Data and Analytics to create, regularly pull and send out bi-weekly reports that summarize the coaches’ progress in achieving the Clinic’s mission.
- Analyze the procedures that the Clinic has made to support financial coaching, including check-ins between staff and supervisors, biweekly reports, and performance management procedures.
- Ensure that the Clinic’s coaching team participates actively and frequently in conversations on Change Machine, the Clinic’s online financial coaching platform.
- Conduct periodic in person visits and remote shadowing to the financial coaching team, and provide feedback to coaches on how they can make their coaching practice more effective and adhere to the Clinic’s model.
- Provide mentoring to and organize professional development for the Clinic’s coaches and Managers of Service Delivery.
- Lead recruitment efforts for filling any vacancies on the coaching staff.
- Manage communications with the Clinic’s site and funding partners, and ensure that reports are submitted in a timely manner and are of the highest quality.
VITA Tax Prep
- Coordinate the Clinic’s VITA tax preparation project, which provides approximately 5000 filers with tax preparation services each year.
- Recruit and hire a temporary and full-time temporary tax associate as well as 30 part-time seasonal staff for the tax program.
- Coordinate the delivery of necessary supplies to the Clinic’s various tax sites and coordinate training for all of the Clinic’s partner staff.
- Coordinate all reporting and relationship management with funding and site partners.
Leading Collaboration Projects
- Manage Services team members in contribute to blog drafting, tipsheet and tool creation, webinar and training development and other external facing projects.
- Play a key role in the implementation and development of a customer advisory group consisting of a group of customers who commit to meeting at least once a quarter to give valuable feedback to Clinic team members.
- Field and evaluate request for workshops and new partnerships in the community.
- 4 to 6 years work experience in a role in the financial security field or in a supervisory and program management role in another organization.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, ideal candidate will have a master’s degree (MBA, MSW, MPA).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities, especially to make real-world decisions and programmatic adjustments based on data.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire, and develop a diverse financial coaching team.
- Maturity and the ability to make decisions and encourage a culture of accountability by demonstrated ability to create an environment where feedback is welcome and lead a process in which feedback is incorporated for continuous quality improvement.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with program design and planning for all eventualities (from the greatest opportunities to the toughest setbacks).
- Energetically leads teams with enthusiasm and can build team spirit.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently but with the judgment to know when to seek guidance.
- Flexibility and adaptability to address concerns in a dynamic environment.
- Looking to make a long-term commitment to a leadership role at The Financial Clinic, including a two-year commitment.
- Experience in Microsoft Office, Excel and Powerpoint required.
“Nice to Have” Qualifications
- Experience using Asana or comparable project management software a plus.
- Experience leading trainings or workshops a plus.
- Experience in consulting or technical assistance a plus.
This is an outstanding leadership opportunity for a motivated professional to join a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with an eagerness to collaborate and the ability to deliver. The Clinic offers a competitive compensation package, including:
- Salary: Starts at $55,000, with a generous benefits package
- Excellent benefit package: includes medical, dental, life, 401(k), transportation subsidy and more
- Ample vacation time: four weeks of paid vacation accumulated during the year plus 12 federal holidays
- First Fridays: work from home every first Friday of the month
- Work-life balance: if the generous vacation time and First Fridays haven't convinced you, let us assure you that we are serious about work-life balance.
- Fun work environment: we work out of a beautifully designed open workspace that promotes team building. We schedule monthly socials to celebrate staff birthdays and have been known to throw surprise parties.
Minimum Education Required