BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
We are seeking a full time Junior Custodian and a part time Custodian to provide a clean environment for BAM staff, artists, patrons, and other guests by collaborating and consulting with others on the custodial staff, Custodial Supervisor and Facilities Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Heavy and light cleaning and high dusting of offices, movie theaters, public spaces, restrooms, sidewalks and building exteriors
- Snow removal and operation of snow blowers
- Move heavy objects
- Operate floor maintenance equipment such as buffers, shampooers, burnishers, etc.
- Receives and responds to all service request calls during the shift
- Process electronic work orders and other documentation as assigned
- Attend job-related skills and safety training as scheduled by the Academy
- Preservation and safekeeping of all custodial materials and equipment
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be able to commit to the above mentioned schedule
- Must be willing to work overtime, as required
- Must be willing and able to work all shifts
- Two years of custodial experience with floor maintenance equipment
- Able to do excessive walking, lifting, stair and ladder climbing
- Able to exert up to 50 pounds of force
- Demonstrated ability to operate all equipment currently in use
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety manuals, and operating and maintenance procedures
- Appropriate written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills (email, internet, etc.)
Success Factors and Behavioral Characteristics
- Ability to multi-task while working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to calmly interact with patrons/employees
- Willingness to handle shifting task priorities
Application Instructions: must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Full Time Position: DC37 union position, salary is $31,277. Required schedule is Sat - Wed, 3pm - 12am.
Part Time Position: $13 per hour. Varied schedule.
Check us out on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.