Breakthrough Greater Boston
P.O. Box 381486
Breakthrough Greater Boston is currently seeking a FAO Schwarz Family Foundation Fellow to support the organization through direct support of students and a substantive role in BTGB’s alumni engagement initiatives; the Fellow will split their time equally between these two major endeavors. Additionally, the Fellow will receive professional development and mentoring through the FAO Schwarz Family Foundation. The FAO Schwarz Family Foundation Fellowship is a two-year Fellowship program for recent college graduates designed to train future leaders in the social impact sector and to strengthen high quality non-profit organizations.
Student Support Coordination
• Build deep relationships with students while providing individualized academic support in the following settings and ways during the school year:
o Tutoring motivated students one-on-one to help them tackle their hardest subjects
o Providing small group support in 9th and 10th grade Study Hall
o Assisting teachers in working with 7th and 8th grade students in our After School Program
• Provide program support across multiple campuses during the summer. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Helping plan and lead Friday special events
o Supervising daily homework support program
o Creating tailored interventions to support individual students with successful homework
o Coordinating student assessment efforts throughout Summer Program o Supporting student engagement during clubs
o Training, supervising, and coaching high school interns
Alumni Support Coordination
• Play lead role in creating and launching new alumni engagement program for 2,500 student and teacher alumni. Specific responsibilities include:
o Researching and documenting best practices used at colleges and other student serving organizations around alumni engagement
o Developing an alumni database
o Creating and utilizing a Breakthrough Alumni Committee to engage alumni directly in this work
o Creating and implementing an alumni communication plan
o Conducting an annual survey of alumni currently in college to inform programming
- Experience with and excitement for working with youth
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with students, families, and educators, including a
- great sense of humor
- Team player who demonstrates a positive attitude, energy, entrepreneurial spirit, and dedication to
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and maintain progress on short and long-term goals
- Fluency in Haitian Creole, Spanish, Amharic, Somali, Arabic, Bengali, Hindi, and/or Urdu a plus
- Prior experience with Breakthrough, Boston Public Schools, Cambridge Public Schools, or Somerville Public
- Schools a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required (can only accept applicants from classes of 2017 and 2018)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “FAO Schwarz Family Foundation Fellow”. Note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Learn more about Breakthrough Greater Boston at www.breakthroughgreaterboston.org.
Breakthrough Greater Boston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Thank you for your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston!