25 West 18th St.
Reporting to the Supervising Attorneys and the Director of the Legal Services Fund, the staff attorney will provide legal services to the members of Building Service 32BJ who are eligible under the union’s Legal Services Plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation to members in Family Law matters and related Criminal Law cases, before courts and related venues
- Meet with clients to determine an appropriate course of action under the direction of supervising attorneys
- Prepare legal pleadings, stipulations, motions and other legal documents
- Write, review and edit documents and correspondence
- Discuss case progress with supervisors and provide reports summarizing case status
- Obtain court records
- Maintain ongoing contact with clients, opposing counsel, advisory parties and courts
- Update case files timely, including, court notes, correspondence and file records; and complete other physical and ministerial duties as necessary to maintain client files
- Perform legal research
- Train and supervise (work product only) secretaries and paralegals
- Be familiar with substantive and procedural law in areas of practice
- Have knowledge of areas covered under the Legal Service Plan
- Maintain confidential materials and information associated with all clients
- Attend member information meetings under the direction of supervisory personnel, including travel as required
- JD and appropriate (or pending) authorization to practice law in NYS
- Bilingual English/Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required
- Substantive knowledge of Family Law
- Ability to utilize legal software effectively for case processing, record keeping and communication
- Ability to maintain professional appearance and demeanor as a representative of the Legal Services Fund.
- Ability to analyze complex issues and exercise sound legal judgment, with the assistance and guidance of supervising attorneys
- Ability to organize and manage databases and case documents
- Ability to appear before courts and agencies and present orally and in writing in an articulate and professional manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively and handle multiple demands in a busy environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with members, as well as with professional, technical and administrative workers
Work Environment: The work environment described here is representative of the environment an employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Life Insurance
- Time off
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please add a cover letter.