Full Time Temporary
Details: $25/hour, 40 hours per week
439 International Blvd
Position: Bootcamp Lead Instructor
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Category: Full Time, Seasonal
Reports to: Oakland Program Director
Dates: May 29 - August 24
The boot camp lead instructor manages both the delivery of instruction, skills, and experiences in the Hack the Hood boot camp, and manages the core team working to provide transformative experiences for the youth during the program. The lead instructor is also a core ally and partner for the Small Business web development work that happens during boot camp. The role includes teaching coding, project management, HTML/CSS and 21st century workplace skills to youth, evaluation and funder surveys, coaching and conducting portfolio reviews, managing other staff, working with volunteers and mentors, participating and preparing participants for tech company site visits and managing students’ development and execution of web sites for small business clients.
The successful candidate is energized to transform young people’s lives by exposing them to technology careers, coding skills, entrepreneurship and tech innovation. The lead instructor has experience teaching tech skills, some coding, design, and digital marketing curriculum for youth ages 15-24. The candidate also has youth development experience with strong classroom management skills. Successful candidates will have a zest for using social media and tech tools, and be comfortable with smart phones, apps, Google Docs and other tools. The successful candidate is both relationship and outcome driven, and an active problem-solver who enjoys relating to youth ages 16-25, and to adult allies. A social justice lens on tech inclusion is a plus.
● Lead the teaching of basic coding, web development, digital marketing and 21st century job skills to youth ages 16-25.
● Oversee launch and execution of day to day boot camp program; ensure that program curriculum meets funder and organizational goals.
● Track youth attendance on paper and in digitally in Google Sheets, daily.
● Support operations of the organization, including logistics around our programs (food, transit, travel, stipends paid, etc.).
● Open and close facility during program.
● Collaborate with the opportunities team (Case Manager and Job Developer) to provide next step opportunities to students and to support volunteers that will lead workshops in the boot camp.
BOOT CAMP SCHEDULE
- 7/2 - 8/10 In class instruction
- M-TH, 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
- F, 10 A.M. - 6 P.M.
- Position starts on 5/29, with a three day break from 6/4 - 6/6
- Position ends on 8/24
The is a wonderful opportunity to be part of a committed team doing important, innovative work in Oakland. The position offers growth opportunities, great community engagement and tangible measurements of outcomes and impact in a dynamic, flexible environment
● Minimum of 3 years of experience utilizing web development technologies and working with clients (freelance or as an employee of a company), plus 2+ years of teaching, administration or instruction in a school or classroom setting.
● Understanding of and experience delivering programs centered in youth development practices and principles.
● Understanding of a tech equity and inclusion issues, and commitment to increasing access for people of color and others.
● Strong organizational skills.
● Good people management skills.
● Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in a changing environment.
● Experience building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with community organizations and local small business and corporations.
● Demonstrated ability to problem-solve.
● Ability to work well in a team environment.
● Good communication and presentation skills.
● Alignment with Hack the Hood's mission and values.
● Strong personal integrity, maturity, and credibility.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to Ricardo Bonilla, firstname.lastname@example.org.