The Associate Director role is a senior leadership position at GDI. You will develop the strategy and impact thesis, generate new opportunities, and own the P&L for GDI’s “China” portfolio, as well as explore and help shape new portfolios for the organization over time.
The work uniquely positions you to collaborate closely with social leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs who are addressing some of the world’s biggest problems, and help guide their paths. You will wear many hats in this role, including strategist, advisor, executive coach, connector, and implementer – with the goal of doing whatever it takes to help launch, build, and steward the capacity of new social change initiatives. You will work at the nexus of expertise and service, managing and growing cross-cutting teams and diverse resources both within and outside of GDI – all the while driving towards concrete results.
The Associate Director reports directly to the Director.
The overarching responsibility is to ensure the success and growth of your portfolio, while contributing to GDI’s overall network, knowledge-base, financial health, and brand. Specific areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
Strategy + Advisory:
- Lead strategy development and pathway to scale for new initiatives within portfolio
- Problem-solve and generate solutions for strategic issues; guide partners in path to execute
- Executive coaching and advisory to senior leadership of partner organizations
- Drive outreach, network-building and business development efforts across the team
- Identify and manage to opportunities and risks with all stakeholders
- Manage, coach and develop teams – both direct reports at GDI and individuals working in partner organizations, including at the executive level
- Integrate services provided by consultants and experts, and ensuring implementation; coordinate service provision through administration of contracts/agreements
- Oversee and guide team to successful delivery against workplan, budget, deliverables etc/
- Cultivate relationships in order to become a preferred thought and implementation partner to executives at leading foundations, corporates and donor agencies
- Dedicate significant time to pitching new ideas / projects to this community and securing new business
- Oversee team’s delivery of communications, reports etc. as required
- Collaborate closely with GDI senior leadership to help shape overall strategy, support the success of other portfolios, and identify opportunities for cross-portfolio collaboration
- Help develop GDI’s incubation methodologies and Growth Engineering toolkit based on your portfolio’s experience and insights
- Drive thought leadership by identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to promote GDI’s work and unique perspective
We are looking for candidates with a mix of entrepreneurial, strategic and operational experience, with a track-record of generating results both as an independent self-starter and by mobilizing collaboration within and across teams.
- 8-10+ years of direct professional experience in some combination of management consulting, social impact organizations, and/or development finance
- At least 3-5 years of that 8-10 years should be in management consulting, ideally in Asia
- Spoken and written fluency in Mandarin and English is a must; Cantonese is a bonus.
- Proven ability to develop relationships and mobilize resources is a must; strong knowledge of and robust network in development funding landscape is preferred
- Strong knowledge of social impact issues, trends and challenges in the China market, with track record of passion and experience
- Demonstrated success supporting management, operations, and/or implementation, including managing diverse and remote teams
- Willing and able to travel regularly to various cities in mainland China
Level of Language Proficiency
Spoken and written fluency in Mandarin and English is a must; Cantonese is a bonus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Instructions: Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document to email@example.com using “Job Applicant: Associate Director” as the subject line.