Program and Engagement Associate-Muhlenberg College Hillel
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Make your mark on Jewish student life at Muhlenberg College Hillel as the Program and Engagement Associate- a passionate networker and connector with a deep understanding of Judaism and a passion for shaping a pluralistic Jewish experience on a small Liberal Arts college campus.
Who You Are:
- A relationship builder – capable of building rapport and developing meaningful relationships with a wide variety of students.
- Passionate – You have a deep passion for building pluralistic Jewish communities, and for creating a welcoming, vibrant, and deeply enriching Jewish environment on campus.
- A self-starter – highly motivated, driven to succeed, reflective and open.
- Team-oriented – a strong work ethic, a sense of humor, an ability to take risks and learn from situations when things don't turn out the way you thought they would.
- You have a Bachelor's degree with 0-2+ years professional work experience. Experience as a volunteer, student leader or professional in a Jewish organization is a plus.
As the Program and Engagement Associate, a Typical Day May Include:
- Coffee meeting with a student you met during move-in week who is questioning her belief in God.
- Meeting with a student organization president to discuss co-sponsoring an upcoming event on campus.
- Strategizing with student board members to create meaningful Shabbat experiences at Hillel.
- Weekly advising meeting with the president of the Hillel Student Board to offer guidance and support on leadership succession.
- Working with colleagues to finalize curriculum for the Engagement Internship.
What You'll Own and How You'll Grow:
Outreach and Engagement
- Build relationships with at least 100 Jewish students over the course of each year by engaging them in meaningful conversations and exploring creative opportunities to help them “do Jewish” in whatever ways are most meaningful to them.
- Foster relationships with college students of any or no faith, organizations, departments and other groups to further opportunities for collaboration.
Student Empowerment and Leadership; Program Planning; Implementation; and Evaluation
- Advise Hillel Student Board and Engagement Interns with an eye for leadership development, innovation, and relationship cultivation within the broader campus community.
- Guide and support the creation of student-initiated programs that build community, challenging students to think beyond traditional Hillel events.
- Plan and implement skill-building programs and strategies to strengthen student leadership.
- Maintain records of student interactions and event attendance for ongoing engagement tracking/measurement and evaluation.
- Implement a program planning and evaluation tool to best prepare for and measure the success of programs and initiatives.
- Manage a variety of projects that seek to connect students to Jewish life through different initiatives.
- Participate as a member of the Hillel staff team in programs, Shabbat experiences and holiday services, meals, and celebrations.
Religious Life Team
- Work collaboratively with the Hillel staff team and support colleagues in their work.
- Attend bi-monthly meetings with Religious Life team.
- Participate in Religious Life programming such as the Interfaith Welcome Bash and Interfaith Week.
What Muhlenberg College Hillel Offers You:
- Great professional and personal development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities, and a network of terrific colleagues from across the Hillel movement.
- Attend a variety of conferences and learning programs such as the Hillel Institute and Hillel International Global Assembly.
- Unlimited paid coffee meetings with students.
- Flexible work schedule (including some nights and weekends).
- This is a non-exempt position, based on hours submitted, and expected to be 40 hours per week. Annual salary range is $32,000-$35,000.
- Muhlenberg College offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance and a flexible spending account for medical/dental expenses, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), vacation and sick time accumulation, life and long-term disability insurance after one year of service, and employer-contributory pension plan after two years of service.
- As a college employee, you will have access to Muhlenberg's state-of-the-art Life Sports Center, campus lectures and speakers, and discounted prices to world-class dance and theater productions.
What We Are About:
Muhlenberg College Hillel serves the most active Jewish campus population in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley. Nearly 30% of the 2200 member student body at Muhlenberg College identify as Jewish. Hillel is recognized by the college administration as a model for quality student-focused programming and chaplaincy. The enthusiasm and commitment of our students drive all that we are able to accomplish. Muhlenberg College Hillel has been named an “Excellent” Hillel in both the “Depth” and “Breadth” categories of Hillel International's “Drive to Excellence” initiative.
Muhlenberg College offers a warm and welcoming Jewish campus life. Muhlenberg's affiliation with the Lutheran Church has meant great support for religious life of all kinds and the Jewish community has benefited from this in many ways. Ours is a proud and vibrant community made up of administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and, of course, students. The current Jewish student body consists of over 600 young people who represent the full diversity of Jewish America. They range from secular to Orthodox. Some come to us from Jewish high schools while others have had no formal Jewish education. They are also racially and geographically diverse. Our Jewish students come to us from as far away as California and as close as the West End of Allentown. We foster an open, pluralistic Jewish community, connecting students with one another and with Jewish culture and traditions through service and social justice, Israel engagement, religious life, and social and leadership programs.
What Allentown is about:
Allentown is the third largest City in Pennsylvania and is convenient to Philadelphia, New York City, and Washington D.C. while providing an accessible and affordable place to live. Situated in the Lehigh Valley, Muhlenberg College is located in the historic West End of Allentown, close to Dorney Park, Da Vinci Science Center and scenic Trexler Park. The Lehigh Valley supports a historic Jewish community of over 8,000 people and includes a JCC, Jewish Day School, Jewish Family Services, and 8 synagogues. Allentown might be known for the Billy Joel song (which is actually about nearby Bethlehem, home of the Steel Stacks and Sands Casino) but our students love the PPL Hockey arena, Wegman's Grocery store, and Allentown Farmer's Market.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with students that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Muhlenberg College Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel.
For best consideration for the Program and Engagement Associate position, apply by April 30, 2018, by uploading your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information of three references (preferably as a single pdf document) to the Career site.
As an equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education. For additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to diversity and inclusion, applicants can find the latest updates to the College's Diversity Strategic Plan at this link: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/aboutus/president/initiatives/diversityatmuhlenberg/<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/696cj8qq4ny4v673"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vXl5zg6HzNBr2iqbAu58OQ">
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please visit: https://muhlenberg.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/MuhlenbergCareers/job/Hillel-House/Program-and-Engagement-Associate_R0000122