Details: DOE plus excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 403b with employer matching, paid vacation and holidays
1840 Sutter Street
Job Title: Youth Leadership Specialist
Program: JAPANTOWN YOUTH LEADERS (JYL), Daly City Prevention Collaborative (DCPC) & ASIAN YOUTH PREVENTIONS SERVICES (AYPS)
Location: 1840 Sutter street, san Francisco, ca 94115
Salary: doe, 40 hours a week plus full medical benefits, some weekends and evenings
Program & Position Description:
Japantown Youth Leaders (JYL) program, Asian Youth Prevention Services (AYPS) Program and the Daly City Prevention Collaborative (DCPC) are Youth Development Programs of JCYC. JYL is designed to foster leadership development and engage participants in activities that support personal development. AYPS and DCPC strive to prevent, delay and reduce the use and abuse of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs (ATOD) among youth in San Francisco and Daly City. For more information about JYL, AYPS, DCPC and JCYC, go to www.jcyc.org.
The Youth Leadership Specialist is an integral member of the JYL/AYPS/DCPC Youth Development Team in planning and implementing program curriculum and activities and will report directly to the Senior Leadership Specialist.
During the school year, the Youth Leadership Specialist will assist with the facilitation of program, including but not limited to, service learning and health curriculum and activities including recruiting participants, conducting weekly participant meetings, providing leadership training, plan recreational activities and guide youth led community service projects. Training topics include group facilitation, public speaking, conflict resolution, decision-making skills, domestic violence prevention and postsecondary education opportunities. During the summer, the Youth Leadership Specialist will support JCYC’s Tomodachi Summer Program. a 9-week, full day program, which offers children interest-based club options, field trips, and cultural enrichment activities.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in working collaboratively with adults and youth, developing strong, nurturing relationships with young people and facilitating small and large group workshops. They will be detail-orientated and able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and changing environment. They must be flexible with varying schedules and activities during the week.
Responsibilities of the Youth Leadership Specialist include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of participants for program participation;
- Assist in the implementation of service learning curriculum and facilitate youth led community service projects with participants ages 12 to 18;
- Develop and conduct workshops focusing on creative personal and leadership development skills;
- Support winter and summer camp activities including lead recreational outings as required;
- Support youth and young adult related activities in Japantown and the broader Japanese American community;
- Build relationships between JCYC and other Community Based Organizations (CBO's), Community Leaders, and Community Resources;
- Participating in evenings and weekends are required (minimum 1 per month);
- Participate in agency events and meetings as needed;
- Participate in advocacy initiatives prioritized by JCYC;
- Perform other related duties as needed.
- Minimum of 1 or more years’ experience working with diverse youth;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in facilitating youth groups;
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting with or without supervision;
- Experience working with community organizations;
- Knowledge of youth development principles/community service learning preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both youth and adults;
- Experience working with diverse youth from a range of backgrounds and circumstances;
- Vehicle access preferred.
· BA/BS from accredited college or four years of related experience.
How to Apply
No Phone Calls Please. Applicants must submit the following: 1) cover letter and 2) résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: JYL, DCPC and AYPS programs of JCYC actively seek to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities. All employees of JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Minimum Education Required