Commitment to Inclusivity, Equity and Representation: GSBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse staff and board reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
GSBA is Washington State’s LGBTQ and allied chamber of commerce. The mission of GSBA is to combine business development, leadership and social action to expand economic opportunities for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community and those who support equality for all. GSBA proudly serves as a connector across the region, bringing communities together through business while advocating for civil rights and small business. GSBA also promotes LGBTQ tourism through Travel Out Seattle, advocates for small businesses in Seattle’s Capitol Hill Neighborhood through the Capitol Hill Business Alliance (CHBA), and invests in the next generation of LGBTQ and allied leaders through the GSBA Scholarship Fund.
Description of Position
We are looking for a Director of Communications who has a passion for our mission, exceptional writing skills, the ability to think critically, problem-solve, and execute with speed. The Director of Communications will be the organization’s lead on developing and executing an integrated, creative and results-oriented communications strategy for GSBA that will enhance awareness of the organization’s value proposition and increase member engagement.
The Director of Communications serves as a content creator, flexible and persuasive writer, frontline copyeditor, and proofreader for several communications channels. This is an incredibly fun and fast-paced job for a creative, energetic and dynamic person who wants to use their skills and passion for small business, equality and education to benefit the LGBTQ community. The ability to interweave intersectional ideas in a concise way is critical to this position.
This position works closely with all staff and leadership volunteers to advance our programmatic, public policy, communications, public relations, and fundraising goals. This position is based in Seattle and reports to the CEO. GSBA and the GSBA Scholarship Fund have a $4 million operating budget with 16 full-time employees. It is governed by a 30-member Board of Directors and has leadership input from various advisory boards.
Strategic Messaging & Oversight
• Oversee all functions of Marketing & Communications department, including managing one or more employees and multiple contractors
• Create, direct, manage and provide strategic oversight of GSBA’s Marketing Plan
• Manage multiple brands with consistency, clarity and creativity
• Oversee storytelling in support of organizations’ mission, vision, and values.
• Position the organization as a community connector
• Develop effective materials (print, video, digital) to market the organization
• Create and edit copy for multiple related channels and audiences, including: GSBA websites, social media, press releases, email messages, and print collateral
• Work collaboratively across departments to align and synthesize messages with organizational priorities
• Ensure cohesive organizational message across multiple programs, platforms, audiences, and departments
• Deep and ongoing understanding of sensitive community issues and how organizations should respond
o Collaborates with external partners on messaging for shared initiatives
o Ability to represent an organizational viewpoint to constituents, media, and general public internal communications products including talking points, messaging documents, backgrounders, bios, press releases, fact sheets, and other materials as needed.
• Media Relations
o Proactively updates media on GSBA actions, events, and positions
o Connects GSBA members to relevant media requests
o Builds relationships with media outlets, fields requests for information and commentary
o Pitch stories and op-eds about GSBA and its membership
• Must have at least five years of experience in a Communications position
• Demonstrated, deep commitment to advancing the causes of the LGBTQ community, anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion for all.
• Ability to write/edit clearly, compellingly, and quickly. Demonstrate capacity to write in a variety of formats, styles and voices - from short-form web and social communications to press releases, long-form features, opinion pieces, speeches and more (writing samples will be requested, and a writing test may be a part of the interview process).
• Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to take initiative, work independently, or as a helpful team member.
• Commitment to GSBA and the GSBA Scholarship Fund’s mission, understanding the importance of small business, social justice values and a personal commitment to equity and inclusion.
• A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and be composed under pressure.
• Strong organizational and project management skills including a passion for detail and follow-through.
• An ability to work flexible hours when necessary, including some evenings and weekends for special events.
• Experience and working knowledge with Microsoft Suite, mass email marketing platforms, and Adobe Creative Suite
• Demonstrable experience with and enthusiasm for social media including Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, blog writing/blogger engagement and other tools.
• A sense of humor and the ability to work joyfully in a fast-paced environment.
Commitment to Inclusivity, Equity and Representation: GSBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse staff and board reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from people of color…
Excellent employer paid benefits medical, dental, and vision coverage along with short-term disability insurance and option to invest in an individual retirement account with an employer match. Opportunity to work remotely part-time.
Excellent employer paid benefits medical, dental, and vision coverage along with short-term disability insurance and option to invest in an individual retirement account with…
• GSBA is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
• In your letter of interest, please include the following for your application to be considered: How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to anti-racism and equity internally and externally?
• Send letter of interest, resume, three writing samples, three professional references, and how you heard about this position to: Mark Rosen, President & CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Communications” in the subject line of your email.
• The position is available immediately. All applications will be reviewed and acted upon as they are received, and the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. Therefore recommended, that you submit your materials as soon as possible.
• GSBA is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual…