Details: Competitive salary package
1500 North 2nd Street
Summary: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is looking for a Member Resource Center Representative to join our Pittsburgh-based MRC team.
Description of the Union: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania unites over 45,000 healthcare workers from all areas of the healthcare industry. We are the nurses, caregivers, dietary workers, lab technicians and housekeepers who work in Pennsylvania's nursing homes, hospitals, home healthcare agencies, state health facilities and auxiliary healthcare services.
Together we work to protect patient care, expand access to quality healthcare for all, and to improve our working conditions. We accomplish these goals by organizing non-union healthcare workers, driving industry standards in our contracts and fighting for legislation that affects healthcare in our state.
Duties and Responsibilities: With the establishment of a centralized grievance handling system through a Member Resource Center, SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania needs a representative to answer members' basic questions and provide advice to them on the phone regarding the union, their contract, workplace laws and regulations, and their rights and responsibilities on the job. MRC Representatives perform representational, training, and advocacy duties on behalf of members and their delegate leaders. This includes coaching and developing leadership skills of our chapter delegates, investigating and processing contract grievance, participating in grievance meetings by telephone, and negotiating grievance settlements where appropriate in consultation with affected members and delegates.
MRC Representatives will coordinate with Internal Organizers and other staff in the field in regard to issue of strategic importance. They will also support Internal Organizers in the identification of potential leaders and issues for them to organizer the members around to engage in collective action. In addition, MRC staff will gather important data from members, such as membership and PAC status, and increase membership participation in union activities and programs.
Qualifications: The Member Resource Center Representative must have the ability and skill to assist the union in meeting its goal of representing and organizing workers successfully.
Selection criteria include:
1) Demonstrated understanding of the organizing model and how it can be used to empower members and ensure superior outcomes in the workplace.
2) Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining issue and human resource management practices.
3) Demonstrated ability to understand and apply labor law and employment-related policies, practices and procedures.
4) Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to providing a quality member experience including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
5) Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic, fast paced and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
6) Excellent analytical and judgment skills as demonstrated by the ability to assess information and evidence and decided on appropriate course of action.
7) Demonstrate ability to formulate and meet measurable performance goals.
8) Must have excellent writing skills for numerous forms of communications including business letters and other representational correspondence.
9) Knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and the Internet.
10) High functioning competency in typing while on the phone, an ability to do comprehensive intake for the purposes of collecting information for use in pursuance of grievance.
Training/ Education/ Experience:
A successful candidate will possess the relevant education and experience in the labor movement with a special emphasis on addressing member concerns and resolving workplace grievances. Potential candidates will go through a formal skills assessment process to determine their ability to work as part of a team in a call center environment.
All positions require a car and willingness to travel occasionally within Pennsylvania. SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania provides mileage reimbursement at the federal rate and lodging when working away from home.
Competitive salary package and benefit including defined benefit pension, optional 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Benefits including employer defined benefit pension, optional 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance.
Minimum Education Required