1616 Greenup Avenue
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass seeks a Staff Attorney for its Morehead or Ashland, Kentucky based offices. Staff Attorneys will practice in typical poverty law areas, such as foreclosure, housing, family law, domestic violence, public benefits, and veteran’s benefits. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a dynamic civil legal aid provider seeking public interest minded attorneys to help us reach our goal of alleviating the profound and brutal effect of poverty on people’s lives. As a team member at Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, attorneys can participate with us in ensuring fairness, protecting families and changing lives through the civil legal system.
The Staff Attorney provides high-quality civil legal advice and advocacy for eligible clients in all forums, including the courts, administrative agencies, and community outreach initiatives.
The Attorney will:
- Provide civil legal representation to eligible clients consistent with professional standards and policies and procedures of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass and funding sources, including preparing legal briefs and documents, and developing strategy, arguments and testimony in order to present cases in court and other forums.
- Work with private attorneys as required facilitating the delivery of legal services to eligible clients through the private bar.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and records, and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services and/or related administrative tasks.
- Enter accurate data into LABG’s electronic case management system.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner.
- In coordination with the Program Administration, develop and implement a plan for advocacy work within program priorities and funding that balances service, community education, and other activities.
- Identify and pursue individual training needs and work with Program Administration to address those needs.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and trainings if required.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Must hold a Law degree (J.D.) from an accredited School of Law, be admitted to practice law in the State of Kentucky, and be in good standing with the Kentucky Bar or be eligible for admission to the Kentucky Bar under Kentucky Supreme Court Rule 2.112 if admitted to practice law in another state. February bar-takers may apply.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
- Ability to balance client-advocacy and administrative responsibilities.
With a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Staff Attorney-Morehead or Ashland