Since 1989, Comunilife has been committed to providing vulnerable communities with housing and culturally sensitive supportive services. We believe that no one should be without the housing and supports they need to lead a healthy, meaningful life. In 2020, Comunilife’s programs, which are located in low-income communities of color, met the needs of more than 2,600 low-income and vulnerable New Yorkers. Roughly 90% of our clients have incomes below the federal poverty line; 90% are African-American or Latino; and 50% have Spanish as their primary (or sole) language. All struggle with profound challenges, i.e. chronic homelessness; HIV/AIDS and other major medical issues; serious mental illnesses and substance abuse. Comunilife has three primary program areas: supportive and affordable housing, medical respite services, and suicide prevention activities for at-risk Latina teens. More information about Comunilife’s programs can be found at www.comunilife.org and www.comunilifelip.org.
The Grant Writer serves as Comunilife’s primary grant writer for foundation and corporate support. The Grant Writer who reports to the Vice President of Development and Communications, will be responsible for increasing foundation and grant funding to ensure that Comunilife’s programmatic and organizational targets are met as outlined in the organization’s Strategic Plan. The Grant Writer will be part of a growing Development and Communications Office which has the overall responsibility of carrying out the comprehensive fundraising and communication strategy.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
● Research potential funding organizations and identify possible grant opportunities
● Prepare compelling, effective and well-written grant proposals, correspondences and other documents for new and existing funders
● Raise a minimum of $200,000 in new grant support in first year
● Work closely with the Vice President of Development & Communications, as well as other important stakeholders to identify short and long term fundraising goals, objectives, and metrics and effective strategies to meet those goals
● Participate in regularly scheduled grant meetings to discuss updates, issues and recommendations
● Assist in preparation of grant application budgets
● Help maintain a grants calendar that tracks pending, submitted, and upcoming proposals and required interim and final reports
● Assist in the preparation of interim and final reports
Secondary Responsibilities, as required
● Provide back-up and support as requested by the Vice President of Development & Communications
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor’s degree required
● 4 - 5 years of development or related experience
● Demonstrated success in identifying new grant opportunities and writing winning grant proposals
● Excellent research, written and verbal communication skills
● Highly organized, detail-oriented, and resourceful
● Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple deadlines
● Comfortable working independently and in collaboration with diverse personalities and work styles
● Familiarity with commonly used computer management systems, i.e. Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Wordpress, Vertical Response, etc.
● Proven ability to anticipate and manage requirements and competing deadlines, gather information, perform research, and resolve problems promptly to maximize efficiency
● Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion at all times
● Spanish fluency a plus but not required
Please submit two examples of successful grant proposals with application
The position will work will be based at Comunilife’s administrative office in Manhattan.
Since 1989, Comunilife has been committed to providing vulnerable communities with housing and culturally sensitive supportive services. We believe that no one should be without the housing and supports they need to…
Spanish fluency a plus but not required
Spanish fluency a plus but not required
A cover letter
Two examples of successful grant proposals with application
To the posting for this position at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=018b8b06-8163-4a37-ba71-0399ca8e3e02&ccId=19000101_000001