Managing Director of High School Humanities - Curriculum Team
- Job posted by Ascend Public Charter Schools
Details: Yearly Salary
The managing director of high school humanities is responsible for overseeing the development of Ascend's Common Core-aligned curriculum and assessment, which incorporates both explicit teaching and inquiry learning in grades 9-12. To ensure vertical alignment, he or she collaborates intentionally with the managing director of literacy K-8, the director of lower school literacy, the director of upper elementary literacy, and the director of humanities, as well as any writers and curriculum directors who write, adapt, curate, and pace research-based curricula materials and assessments, especially those who write high school curricula. This person also collaborates strategically with the managing director of high school STEM, as well as the managing director of high school and the high school director.
We look for professionals who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools. Above all, we seek staff members who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for the children of Central Brooklyn.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The managing director of high school humanities will:
- Write curricula
- Coordinate, oversee and develop curricula written by other members of the curricular team, teachers, and/or other organizations
- Develop and deliver professional development in these curricula to school leaders (director and dean(s)) and through them, teachers
- Guide the instructional practices of high school teachers through the school director and dean of instruction
- Analyze the instructional data and use it to guide curricular, instructional and professional development decisions
- Research and implement innovative best practices in high school curricula design in New York and the nation
- Work closely with the Alumni Affairs department to determine where our curriculum needs to get stronger in order to increase college persistence rates
- Work closely with the chief curriculum and instructional officer, chief schools officer, and school leaders (managing director of high schools, schools team, high school director, high school dean(s) of instruction) to ensure the highest fidelity implementation of these curricula
- In collaboration with Ascend's director of data and analytics, use academic data to adjust and focus curriculum development.
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The managing director of high school humanities reports directly to Ascend's chief curriculum and instructional officer.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic results in grades 9-12
- Five or more years of teaching experience with exceptional results
- Three or more years of experience managing and developing instructional staff and delivering outstanding professional development
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
Skills and Traits
- A deep understanding of the Common Core and Next Generation standards, Advanced Placement curriculum, and the NY Standards and Regents themes in grades 9-12
- Deep understanding of all high school assessments, including but not limited to AP exams, the Regents, PSAT's, SAT's, SAT II's
- Exceptional self-motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and team orientation
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with diverse individuals to drive decision-making and results
- Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the Ascend Learning and school communities with respect
- Absolute integrity
- Exemplary curriculum and assessment writing skills
- A mindset of excellence with upholding the highest standards for beautifully written, error-free curriculum products
- Ability to deliver impactful professional development to leaders and teachers
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Commitment to improving the minds and lives of students from low-income communities; dedication to doing whatever it takes to help all students achieve academic success
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Managing Director of High School Humanities - Curriculum Team