Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- Work with Ayuda’s Pro Bono Managing Attorney to plan, publicize, and manage Ayuda’s immigration clinics, which includes oversight and management of clinics held throughout the DMV area, which includes volunteer recruitment and training, coordination with community stakeholders and pro bono partners, and on-site management the day of the clinic. Some evenings and weekends will be required.
- Conduct follow-up interviews with potential clients to screen them for immigration relief eligibility and fit with Ayuda’s pro bono program.
- Work with Ayuda’s Pro Bono Managing Attorney to support and oversee Ayuda’s Pro Bono Pipeline, through which clients are matched with private pro bono attorneys for full representation in their immigration matters. Pro Bono Pipeline tasks include:
- Crafting compelling summaries of potential cases for distribution to pro bono partners;
- Answering substantive and logistical questions from interested pro bono partners;
- Compiling individual client files and case-specific resources for pro bono attorneys who have accepted cases;
- Following-up with pro bono attorneys and clients as necessary to ensure the delivery of high quality legal services through Ayuda’s pro bono pipeline;
- Keeping pro bono matters up to date in Ayuda’s database;
- Providing resources to Ayuda mentor attorneys and pro bono partners as required, including drafting substantive manuals and case tips;
- When appropriate, drafting and distributing practice pointers and other updates in response to changes in immigration law and procedures; and,
- Assisting with reporting on Ayuda’s pro bono efforts across clinics and the pro bono pipeline, using Ayuda’s database, Microsoft Excel, and other methods as applicable.
- Carry a small caseload of in-house immigration cases and mentor pro bono attorneys on immigration matters.
- Supervise a legal assistant.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Experience (ideally at least two years) practicing immigration law.
- Experience working with low-income immigrant individuals and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other trauma.
- Experience working at a law firm or with pro bono partners.
- Demonstrated skill supervising and mentoring paralegals and legal assistants.
- Current bar membership in good standing to practice law in any state of the United States, with a strong preference for individuals licensed in the District, Maryland and/or Virginia.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent in Spanish, Amharic, or another language relevant to our client community.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, flexibility and good humor highly desirable.
- Highly developed interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, sound judgment, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples and (unofficial) law school transcripts may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program's Loan Repayment Assistance Program.