1016 West Argyle St.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association: Literacy Associate - AmeriCorps
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking an AmeriCorps member to serve as a Literacy Associate within CMAA’s adult education and employment programs program. The Literacy Associate will assist with growing and coordinating CMAA’s adult education classes and volunteer literacy program. This a full-time position with an engagement of one year.
The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and display a deep commitment to offering high-quality services to the immigrant community. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle multiple projects independently. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn about and engage various ethnic and low-income communities, and to contribute to a forward-thinking team dedicated to building a sustainable Adult Education and Workforce Department.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is a fast-paced organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of low-income youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Adult Education and Workforce Department provides English as a Second Language, Financial Literacy, and Computer classes, and assists clients with transitioning into the workforce, through workshops and individualized counseling.
The Literacy Associate is responsible for the following:
● Conducting client outreach for CMAA’s adult education programming and recruiting volunteers to assist in classrooms and offer private tutoring for adult education students
● Coordinating registration and orientation periods for adult education students and volunteers with the Adult Literacy Coordinator; conducting intakes and administering tests
● Overseeing open computer lab hours for adult education and workforce clients
● Matching clients with volunteer tutors and providing support to volunteers during tutoring sessions
● Entering client and volunteer data in agency-wide database
We’re seeking candidates who are passionate about working with immigrant communities, are strong communicators, and excel in relationship building. You should have:
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a strong interest in working with a limited English proficient population
● Experience managing multiple projects and a demonstrated ability to adhere to deadlines
● Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
This is a VOCAL AmeriCorps volunteer position. The selected candidate will not earn a traditional salary, but rather a small stipend to cover living expenses. To learn more about the VOCAL AmeriCorps program, visit http://lvillinois.org/vocal_americorps.aspx.
Category: Full-Time AmeriCorps Member - 1700 hours
Term: 1 year, from Sept. 1, 2018 – Aug. 31, 2019
Hours: 40 hours a week, schedule negotiable with some evening and Saturday hours
Compensation: $1,144 monthly living expenses stipend (for a total $13,732 yearly)
Benefits: ♦ Bi-weekly living allowance based on $13,732 a year ♦ Health insurance and (income-based) child care ♦ Student Loan Deferral though CNCS for the duration of the service year ♦ Initial, in-service and on-the-job training ♦ Post service educational award of $5,920
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in a second language is a plus but not required. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required for this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Before applying, please confirm your ability to complete the full year AmeriCorps service term and to financially support yourself during that time, as the $13,732 stipend is minimal. Learn more about AmeriCorps here: http://lvillinois.org/vocal_americorps.aspx.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Gisella Faggi, Manager of Civics and Community Integration, at email@example.com by August 20th.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.