Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) has grown and evolved since our founding in 2002, adapting fearlessly to meet the complex challenges of 21st-century worldview diversity. We have gone from running interfaith youth programs in church, mosque, and synagogue basements to shaping a national narrative about the power and potential of civic religious pluralism while focusing on the society-transforming power of higher education. We believe in the essential contributions of countless religious and philosophical traditions that affirm the dignity and justice for every human being. IFYC affirms and supports work for racial equity and is committed to the transformation of America into the promise of what it can be but has not yet been.
At IFYC, we’re ever adapting and changing. We look for people who set audacious goals and love that one workday may not be like the next. We are serious about our vision of an America where people of different faiths, worldviews, and traditions bridge divides, work towards racial equity, and find common values to build a shared life together. We seek to attract and retain a team of staff comprised of the diverse identities we need to achieve our vision, including minority religious groups and people of color. We deliberately recruit potential team members from communities that are underrepresented in many interfaith spaces.
You have demonstrated your ability to create a content strategy across multiple channels that impacts the national conversation. You are always hungry for the next story that supports positive change in civil society. You’re a seasoned supervisor and mentor that uplifts the strengths and expertise on your team. You thrive in a fast-paced, adaptable environment where one day won’t look like the next. You enjoy working collaboratively and liaising across multiple complex projects with various stakeholders. You’re a relentless planner that keeps multiple schedules on track. You hold yourself and your team to a high bar of excellence and take personal responsibility for achieving the team’s goals.
Is to reclaim the online space from polarization and turn it into an opportunity for interfaith cooperation and learning. As Director of Content Strategy and Managing Editor of Interfaith America, you’ll build a narrative driven content strategy that lifts and celebrates the stories of bridge building and religious pluralism from within the IFYC network, most notably from our constituents, and promote them to national media. You’ll help move the needle in this important time in history and bring this online interfaith space to life. Equal parts writer/editor, trusted media partner, and mentor, you will imagine and create engaging content while mentoring others on how to do so, and grow our media platform, Interfaith America, that will ensure these stories reach a national audience.
• Create a content vision for the organization, in partnership with the Senior Advisor of Public Affairs & Innovation and key stakeholders, that promotes IFYC content across all digital channels including the content arc that connects IFYC’s media, online resources, and IFYC’s online learning initiatives.
• Manage and execute a strategic content plan and editorial calendar for Interfaith America in featuring stories of interfaith cooperation, profiles in young interfaith leadership, relevant content from IFYC media partners and case studies from our partner campuses doing innovative work.
• Develop marketing and communications strategies and tactical plans to promote IFYC signature programming and related content across the higher education landscape.
• Build the content dissemination strategy, in partnership with Marketing & Communications team members, on social media, email, syndication, web, public affairs to meet traffic, reach and audience acquisition goals.
• Develop strategic partnerships with like-minded media outlets that elevate and promote each other’s content.
• Translate and promote IFYC’s programmatic resources on interfaith leadership for our higher education audience into content that engages and reaches a national audience.
• Work with the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation to promote our Founder & President across all digital channels.
• Work closely with Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation for strategy on storytelling and new directions in content strategy.
• Analyze marketing and communication channels and campaigns on a regular basis to determine efficacy and ROI: assume responsibility for regular evaluation and reporting on marketing and communications program outcomes.
• Support creative development and brand management by helping to craft communications, advertisements, and media experiences that advance the IFYC brand and strategically position the organization.
Managing Editor, Interfaith America:
• Oversee an image-driven, engaging multimedia posts for our narrative platform to increase traffic and grow the network.
• Recruit and manage IFYC content contributors (both internal and external contributors).
• Assign and take overall editing responsibility of stories, photographs, graphics, videos, audio and other news content.
• Oversee the creation of engaging content that promotes programmatic work happening at the organization, and in turn, create content that serves an inspiration to and complements the programmatic work at the organization.
• Work closely with the Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation, who acts as the Editor of Chief of Interfaith America.
• Supervise a team of Marketing and Communications professionals, including our Web Designer, Social Media Strategist, Staff Writer & Media Manager, Marketing and Communications Manager and our Marketing and Communications Assistant. Within the reporting lines of this team, we have a Graphic Designer supervised by our Social Media Strategist.
• Build and manage a budget for all the marketing and communications initiatives.
• Serve as primary liaison between Marketing & Communications team and various programmatic teams, providing thought partnership to help achieve their goals and consistent, highly accountable service to ensure smooth collaboration and intra-team communications.
• 7-10 years of experience in content strategy, brand marketing, communications, or related disciplines within a nonprofit, agency, higher education, or media
• 5+ years of experience in a similar content strategy role
• 5+ years of team supervision
• Extensive knowledge of content marketing and best practices
• Familiarity with marketing and communications channels including but not limited to email marketing, online fundraising, social media strategies, data management, website and email analytics, photography and online video
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated ability to quickly generate compelling, error-free prose
• Ability to balance and prioritize multiple ongoing projects from multiple stakeholders
• Collaborative nature; flexibility and agility in problem-solving
• Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
• Authorization to work in the United States
• High level of religious literacy and fluency in diversity, pluralism, and inclusion
• Knowledge of constituent relationship management processes and experience overseeing a pipeline of constituent relationships from initial engagement to deeper partnerships
• Passionate commitment to IFYC’s vision of making interfaith cooperation a social norm.
• Be flexible, willing to pivot and respond to the changing needs and landscape of the media and the cultural moment.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with proven experience of being adaptable and experimental.
• Excellent taste and editorial judgment, with an appetite to learn about interfaith cooperation.
• Be collaborative and goal oriented.
Compensation and Benefits: $85,000 - $110,000 annually plus free medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employee-only coverage. Those who wish to cover their dependents can contribute through payroll for dependent health coverage. Generous time off policies that include paid time off, floating holidays, fixed holidays, sick leave and paid parental leave.
Application: please upload your cover letter that includes why you want to work at IFYC and your resume
Application deadline: May 4th
Start Date: approximately June 1st
Location: working from our Chicago Loop office at 141 W Jackson Blvd. #3200 Chicago, IL 60604
Hours: 40 hours per week, 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday
Travel: minimal travel involved (0-5% of the year)
Supervisor: Senior Advisor for Public Affairs & Innovation
Direct reports: Web Designer, Social Media Strategist, Staff Writer & Media Manager, Marketing and Communications Manager and our Marketing and Communications Assistant
The Director of Content Strategy requires the ability, with or without reasonable accommodation, to: maintain regular attendance; work in our Chicago Loop office; occasional travel for meetings; work cooperatively with others; adhere to IFYC personnel policies and safety rules; sit and/or stand for extended periods of time; operate standard office equipment, including computers, telephones, photocopiers, and projectors; communicate orally, in writing, and via computers and digital devices; and requires close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, transcribe, view a computer terminal and other office equipment.
IFYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, marital status, or any other status protected by applicable law. Reasonable accommodation will be provided as needed to enable qualified applicants with a disability to participate in pre-employment procedures.
Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) has grown and evolved since our founding in 2002, adapting fearlessly to meet the complex challenges of 21st-century worldview diversity. We have gone from running interfaith youth programs in church…