601 South Figueroa Street
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Human Resources (HR), the HR Manager will play a vital role in transforming the organization’s human resource functions to better serve all Alliance staff, both at the Home Office and our school sites. The HR Manager will lead key aspects of HR operations, with a specific focus on onboarding, benefits, leaves, and worker’s compensation. The HR Manager will also supervise at least one other HR staff member and ensure the organization is in compliance with all federal and state laws as well as Alliance policies, while driving the work forward in innovative and efficient ways, and a focus on “best in class” customer service.
HR Expertise and Leadership
- Review and refine the onboarding and exiting processes to ensure all staff members experience excellent HR customer service at the start and conclusion of their employment
- Design and implement a long-range, multi-year vision for Alliance staff member benefits and wellness programs that provide a proactive approach to ensure that all staff feel valued.
- Develop recommendations for new group benefits (including health, dental, vision, life insurance and retirement) plans or modifications to existing plans to maintain Alliance’s competitive position in the education industry.
- Lead and manage annual wellness fair and open enrollment process; plan, schedule and execute open enrollment events.
- Manage and monitor progress of all leaves requests (FMLA, CFRA, personal, etc.) and workers’ compensation claims, including ensuring the timely reporting of all employee injuries.
- Provide expertise and oversight on key HR-related issues and develop direct report(s) in their professional growth goals.
Project and Systems Management
- Develop operational plans with clear and measurable goals that align with Alliance’s larger HR and talent strategy, initiatives, and organizational priorities.
- Ensure integrity and timely processing of all HR transactions, including enrollment in benefits, along with accurate recordkeeping in adherence with records retention laws and industry standards.
- Document administrative procedures and policies; evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency as necessary.
- Provide required information for all audits and compliance reports.
- Perform monthly billing reconciliation of all plans, working closely with Payroll and Accounting & Finance to ensure accurate deductions, expense allocations, and timely payment of invoices.
- Review and ensure all HR operations align and comply with Alliance policies, individual school charters, and state and federal labor laws, and ensure consistent, fair, and equitable application of policies and procedures to all staff, regardless of position or status.
Customer Service and Problem-Solving Approach
- Model and facilitate “best in class” customer service standards aimed at delivering high-quality HR support to all schools and Home Office staff.
- Monitor the resolution of complex staff concerns related to their employment, wages, and health and wellness plans.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, such as Payroll, School Staffing, and Performance Management, to ensure operations are effective and efficient.
- Develop communication tools and strategies to support staff members’ understanding of Alliance’s benefits package and HR policies.
- Serve as primary contact for health care carriers, insurance broker, and third party administrators.
Other responsibilities, as needed, may be assigned through the course of your employment.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy
- Knowledge of urban school environments and school culture
- Successful leadership experience in human resources and deep knowledge of state and federal labor laws and employment provisions
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-layered organization and build strong relationships with teachers, coaches, school leaders and other home office and school-based colleagues
- Exceptional project management skills and experience in a context of competing priorities with limited resources and infrastructure
- Strong people management skills with a successful track record of leading teams to excellent outcomes
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, human resource information systems (HRIS), and Google-based applications
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in human resources, education, public administration or policy, or a related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in human resources, benefit administration, employee or labor relations, or equivalent experience
- Prior experience working in a school system (charter management organization, charter school, school district, or university) strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as an employer-sponsored 403(b) plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter at www.laalliance.org/careers.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics