Organization Mission & Background
The Urban Assembly (UA) is a non-profit organization providing leadership and programmatic support to unique, small public secondary schools in high-need neighborhoods in NYC. Our schools are open to all students and our goal is to prepare 100% of our graduates for success in the 21st century economy through rigorous college preparation and cutting-edge career and technical education.
The UA team develops and provides high-quality ongoing coaching and resources to UA school staff in the areas of leadership, academics, college access, career readiness, and social-emotional learning, so that they can, in-turn, support UA students to succeed after high school.
In 2018, the UA is actively serving over 10,000 students. Our 21 NYC high schools serve over 8,000 students across three boroughs, and UA staff directly supports 2,000 recent alumni spread across the country as they pursue their post-secondary goals. UA students, a predominantly low-income population that is 94% African American or Latino, recently achieved an overall high school graduation rate over 80%; outpacing NYC’s overall rate of 74.3% and far exceeding the rates for Black (70%) and Hispanic (68.3%) students.
The Urban Assembly is a data-informed organization, continually evaluating and monitoring progress and success as we iterate and innovate alongside our schools and our partners.
As a member of the Program Operations & Data team, the School Support Data Manager will help coordinate and analyze student and school-level data as well as create user-friendly visualizations and reports to help all staff monitor, measure, and inform their work. This is an opportunity to join an engaged, collaborative, mission-driven staff and to take part in the vital process of improving the lives of NYC students. This position collaborates with both school and office-based staff, reports to the Director of Program Operations & Data, and is based at Urban Assembly’s newly renovated central office in Manhattan’s Financial District.
1. Manage Data. Collect, process, organize and maintain reliable data from multiple platforms
related to school support and program initiatives (e.g., DOE systems, vendors, partners).
2. Present Data. Prepare timely, accurate, user-friendly data to inform school support strategies,
improve student outcomes, report progress toward our mission, and contribute to new initiatives as needed.
3. Support Data-Informed Decision-Making. Curate information and counsel UA and school staff to
promote strategic planning while preventing data overload and misinterpretation.
4. Support Related Systems. Contribute to on-going technology improvements.
5. Make Connections. Be an active, mindful participant in the Urban Assembly community. Build and maintain relevant relationships internal and external to the organization.
Experience and Education
● Demonstrated proficiency or Bachelor’s degree in statistics, data manipulation, or research.
● Four years work experience in a data-informed environment.
● Two years work experience in and education-related setting or NYCDOE school (preferred).
● Demonstrated intermediate proficiency with spreadsheets.
● Familiarity with Google Apps, Tableau, Microsoft Excel.
● Any Google training or credentials a plus.
● Quality Execution: Possess a sense of urgency and responsibility; attend to consistency and detail; balance priorities and perspectives.
● Superb Communication: Demonstrate strong listening, writing and verbal skills; possess strong graphic presentation and design skills; distill information to present to various audiences.
● Strong Research: Manage data across multiple platforms; adapt to new or changing systems; demonstrate capacity to tolerate all stages of data management: coding, cleaning, analysis.
● High Standards of Professionalism and Teamwork: Interact comfortably with colleagues at all levels in a collaborative, high-standards and mission-driven organization; take direction and work as part of a team, as well as work independently.
● Positivity and Engagement: Enjoy an open-office environment that is always self-assessing and improving; possess a sense of humor and a love of good food.
Salary commensurate with experience, and the UA offers a very generous benefits package.
Please email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Data Manager” in the subject heading. For additional information about the Urban Assembly, please visit www.urbanassembly.org.
Minimum Education Required