Details: 40-Hours per week
1632 U Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Smith Center is a $1.5 million nonprofit health, education, and arts organization with a mission to develop and promote healing practices that explore physical, emotional, and mental resources that lead to life-affirming changes for people affected by cancer and other serious illnesses.
We are looking for a full-time Development Coordinator to help facilitate the success of the development department and assists with the implementation of all development related activities. He/She will assist the Executive Director and Deputy Director with various tasks and projects as to help meet our organization’s development goals.
Grants & Sponsorships
· Manage all grant processes, leading all correspondence with outside contracted grant managers and writers
· Draft and submit grant requests under $10,000
· Work with programmatic staff to manage program metrics for grants
· Manage internal grant and sponsorship processing, including thank you letters and reporting
· Facilitate grantor cultivation tasks
Donations, Major Gifts, and Corporate Giving
· Manage the donor and gift acknowledgement process
· Manage administration for the development department including deposit vouchers for incoming cash and check donations
· Lead all appeal processes and administrative implementation of appeals
· Manage with donor cultivation and relationship management
· Identify and research corporate prospects
· Support the Executive Director’s planned giving initiatives
· Key team member with planning and logistics for fundraising related events
· Manage internal administrative processes for annual Make a Difference Gala including sponsorships, auction items, invitations, seating and thank you letters.
· Manage development efforts for annual Alchemical Vessel benefit including sponsorships, food donations, and donor relations
General, Database, and Website
· Work with leadership team to develop, set, and monitor fundraising goals
· Monitor development internal budget-vs-actual
· Draft development report for board
· Maintain development communications calendar for organization
· Gather all internal quotes and stories for development purposes
· Maintain all constituent and organizational profiles in Bloomerang ensuring accuracy
· Troubleshoot database issues and serve as the primary contact for Bloomerang support if necessary
· Generate special event and online forms
· Manage language on website donation pages, update through Wordpress as needed
Other Duties include:
· Possible Intern(s) or Volunteer(s) assisting with development related work
· Bachelor’s degree in Arts Administration, Marketing, Communications, Nonprofit Administration, or similar fields preferred – though degrees in other areas welcome.
· 2-3+ year related experience, preferably in the nonprofit or philanthropic sectors.
· Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
· Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills
· Strong organization and attention to detail skills
· Exceptional, effective and persuasive written and oral communications skills as well as editing skills.
· Strong fiscal management and budgeting skills.
· Ability to work autonomously.
· Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs, with some Mac experience
· Flexibility, maturity, vision, personal fortitude, and a sense of humor
· Desire to learn about cultivating, soliciting, and securing gifts from individuals as well as implementing innovative donor stewardship activities.
· Fully embraces Smith Center’s mission and values.
Competitive Benefits including dental, vision, life, and vacation, sick/personal and holiday time.
Annual Salary - $50,000-$55,000
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume with cover letter explaining why you want to work at Smith Center as well as why specifically we should consider your application for the Development Assistant position (maximum 2 pages). Send all materials to Deputy Director Michelle Clermont at: Michelle@smithcenter.org
We strongly encourage you to visit our website and learn more about Smith Center and services we provide before applying for this position.
Phone inquiries will not be returned.