Details: Salary DOE
Who we are: La Clínica de La Raza is a community-based health center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality, and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal our communities without also addressing the economic and social factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge that links individuals to our health center for preventive and primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clínica because it is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano counties.
An exciting opportunity to direct robust behavioral health team: The individual in this position is responsible for the development and oversight La Clínica's specialty mental health programs, La Clínica's integrated behavioral health programs and La Clínica's behavioral health prevention programs. The Director of Behavioral Health supervises and supports the work of the Specialty Mental Health supervisors and Integrated Behavioral Health Manager as well as the Behavioral Health Supervisor (Oakley), and the BH Prevention Program Supervisor at Cultura y Bienestar. The Director monitors, analyzes and evaluates existing mental health services, behavioral medicine services, and medical social work services and new legislation for its impact on mental health and behavioral health programs. Ensures consistency and quality of specialty mental health, behavioral medicine, and medical social work across La Clinica sites and across all counties where La Clinica provides services. The position reports to the Associate Director of Medical Operations.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited to:
Care Delivery and Supervision
- Oversees the delivery of specialty mental health, integrated behavioral health, behavioral medicine and behavioral health prevention programs with best practices an in compliance with program policies, procedures, standards, and clinical guidelines, regulatory guidelines and grant requirements.
- Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates existing mental health/behavioral health prevention, intervention and treatment services throughout La Clínica.
- Provides administrative and clinical supervision including planning, supervising and assigning work to the Managers of Specialty Mental Health and Integrated Behavioral Health and Supervisors for Oakley Mental Health Program and Cultura y Bienestar Prevention program.
- Assists in conducting in-service training and carries out instructional and staff development activities. Responsible for the coordination of La Clínica's bachelors, masters and doctorate level internships programs within both the specialty mental health programs and medical social work programs.
- Analyzes new legislation for its impact on behavioral health programs. Advocates for mental health and behavioral health services for La Clínica's target populations including local and state and federal initiatives, regulations and policies.
- Insures compliance with program policies and standards for services under contract to assure continuity and quality of services. Oversees the development of quality assurance activities including peer review processes, administrative, clinical, and fiscal audits of program activities.
- Supports supervisees in the evaluation of staff, including job performance, work flow, productivity, and medical records documentation to assure staff efficiency and a high standard of quality behavioral health care for patients.
- Responsible for the development of qualitative and quantitative reports regarding mental health departmental activities, integrated behavioral health programs and prevention programs.
Operations and Planning
- Prepares annual budgetary estimates; controls subsequent expenditures within authorized appropriations; analyzes financial accounting of expenditures and prepares forecasting reports. Negotiates budgets with funders. Directs and oversees program expansions and program modifications.
- Responsible for strategic planning, identifying potential growth opportunities, and developing of proposals in collaboration with the Planning department related to specialty mental health, behavioral medicine and medical social work.
- Represents La Clínica's Behavioral Health Departments to other La Clínica Departments, La Clínica's Board of Directors, La Clínica's Executive Team. Represents La Clinica's behavioral health programs externally to County Behavioral Health organizations, California Primary Care Association, County Boards of Supervisors, Public and Private Behavioral Health organizations, Grantors, Foundations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires knowledge and understanding of specialty mental health programs, medical social work and integrated behavioral health programs.
- Expertise in the treatment of Severe Mental Illness, Severe Emotional Disturbance, Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse, Crisis intervention, and Brief Counseling interventions, and Mental Health Prevention.
- Knowledge of treatment directed toward individuals, families, and groups is required
- Requires knowledge of the principles, methods and procedures involved in planning, organizing and directing professionals and paraprofessional
- Knowledge of the regulations that govern the practice of medical social work and behavioral medicine in primary care settings. Knowledge of regulations that govern the practice of specialty mental health practices. Knowledge of HIPAA regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of health care administration and operations, including medical clinic operations and patient flow, personnel management, budgetary oversight, provider productivity standards, oversight of government and private grants, and third-party revenue systems including Medi-Cal and Medicare.
- Ability to implement and provide oversight of evidence-based specialty mental health practices, medical social work practices, integrated behavioral health, behavioral medicine and behavioral health prevention practices.
- Must have driver's license and own transportation to travel to La Clinica sites in Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano Counties
- Ability to speak English and Spanish preferred.
Other Certifications and Experience
- Must be a California Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Psychologist (Lic PhD), or Marriage Family Therapist (MFT).
- Must have at least five years' post-license clinical supervision experience and at least five years of progressive administrative experience including personnel management, budgetary oversight, quality assurance, and provider productivity
- Experience working with multicultural populations, particularly the Latino population
10 annual paid holidays
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required