Details: depending on experience
1012 14th Street, NW
The Justice Policy Institute seeks a full-time Communications Associate, with a passion for social justice, to join our Washington, D.C. based team.
Organization description: The Justice Policy Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to reducing the use of incarceration and the justice system by promoting fair and effective policies. JPI does this through groundbreaking research and analysis, strategic communications, organizing, and technical assistance to advocates and policymakers.
Position summary: The full-time Communications Associate is responsible for assisting in the development, design and implementation of communications strategies, including both traditional media pitches and social media campaigns. The position calls for creative and innovative thinking to attract and engage a broad audience of advocates, scholars, practitioners, reporters, impacted individuals, policymakers and donors.
Work in collaboration with Director of Communications and External Affairs to:
● Create and implement, for both digital and traditional media, effective strategies, goals, tools and tactics.
● Create engaging content, for both digital and traditional media, to spark conversations and advocacy.
● Draft a variety of traditional and social media writing pieces including, but not limited to, op-eds and LTE’s, blogs, social media campaigns, website content and press pitches.
● Translate field specific jargon into accessible content.
● Work with JPI and partner organizations’ staffs to create infographics, podcasts and videos from JPI research and reports.
● Monitor both issues and JPI coverage in press and social media.
● Track and analyze digital metrics across JPI’s platforms as well as emerging media trends.
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, criminal justice or related field preferred; equivalent experience considered.
● Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to write quickly and accurately. Strong editorial skills.
● Strong skills in both social and traditional media.
● Self-starter with the ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
● Fluency with current and emerging technology. Experience with broad range of platforms including social media, blogging, CMS and eblast platforms; Adobe Creative Suite and Cision preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and two work samples based on releasing a past JPI report of your choice. Sample 1 consists of 2-3 days worth of social media content across multiple platforms following the release. Sample 2 consists of one paragraph each on 2-3 potential traditional media pitches on the same report release.
Please use subject line “Communications Associate.” Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.