The U.S.VETS—Development & Communications Manager reports directly to the Executive Director, and is primarily responsible for management and expansion of U.S.VETS site fundraising, communications and volunteer programs.
- Work directly with Site Executive Director to oversee site fundraising, communications and volunteer efforts; increase private revenue annually to meet projected goals.
- Partner with National Development staff to execute and expand fundraising and communications activities; participate in national development calls, teleconferences and meetings.
- Manage all signature events, including administration, fundraising logistics and execution, secure and manage 3rd party, donor-hosted and other events as needed, working with Executive Director, Advisory Council, Committee.
- Lead growth of corporate fundraising through identification and direct solicitation of prospects for event sponsorships, in-kind and capital investments, and implementation of Businesses That Care initiative.
- Oversee all donor engagement; increase individual giving through donor solicitation and stewardship, and independent coordination of direct mail and e-appeals.
- Identify prospects for individual and corporate support, conduct prospect research, initiate and conduct direct outreach and solicitation, independently and/or in partnership with senior leadership.
- Serve as community representative, facilitate presentations for the Executive Director and program leadership, deliver presentations to local businesses, faith-based groups and community associations.
- Secure in-kind contributions for events, programs and facilities, including identifying and partnering with local community groups, business and others to increase donations.
- Engage community and corporate volunteers, develop and oversee individual and group volunteer projects, manage and steward volunteers on-site and at events.
- Manage site communications, public relations and marketing; secure client success stories, develop all social media engagement, website updates, coordinate media and advertising.
- Maintain site development and communications calendar; report on site fundraising efforts to the National office.
- Develop and manage branded collateral, presentations, marketing materials and communications; ensure consistent use of organization brand, mission and messaging.
- Utilize eTapestry database to create records, record cash/in-kind contributions, send acknowledgments, and track actions and contacts.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-5 years fundraising experience, particularly including special events, individual and corporate giving.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in managing donor and community relationships.
- Initiative to personally request and secure investments from individuals, corporations and community groups.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage competing priorities; strong time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen to and effectively communicate with colleagues and donors.
- Flexibility, creativity and initiative required to create new opportunities.
- Strong Microsoft Office, database and administration skills.
United States Veterans Initiative (U.S.VETS) is the nation’s largest nonprofit provider of services to veterans, with 21 sites and 9 service centers across the country. Our mission is the successful transition of military veterans and their families through the provision of housing, counseling, career development and comprehensive support.