Lead the day-to-day oversight of accounting, finance, payroll, financial reporting and budgeting. Also involved in a range of strategic planning and development activities. Support the Director of Finance, who is the primary liaison to the Audit, Budget and Investment committees at the Church.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts
- Monthly revenue reconciliation between general ledger and donor systems
- Prepare all month-end journals and review with Director of Finance
- Run financial statements & reports and provide explanation for variances
- Maintain chart of accounts and set up/adjust report templates
- Assist with production of annual budget and import into general ledger
- Supervise the annual financial audit. Prepare and run reports for annual audit, ensuring 'audit readiness' in Q1
- Provide excellent customer service related to accounting, reporting, budgeting, analysis, and grant management including consistent accounting treatment of all transactions and timely, accurate reporting
- Troubleshoot accounting/donor system issues (fund integration, batch import, etc.)
- During annual pledge drive in Q3, assist Development Department: 1) reconcile pledges between system, 2) produce weekly pledge report to track new pledges and analyze member giving history
- Assist Office Manager for Outreach and Missions with grant reporting and budgeting
- Ensure that the daily financial and accounting functions are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulatory
- Prepare and present financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis to projects, and external and internal management team as required
- Participate in evaluating, improving and documenting policies and procedures
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members
- Other duties as assigned
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance/Business from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 3+ years non-profit accounting experience.
- Extensive knowledge of computer software, high degree of proficiency in Excel and pivot tables required.
- Previous experience with web based general ledger system, as well as QuickBooks.
- Work experience in a busy office environment.
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
PERSONAL QUALITIES DESIRED:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Dependable, compassionate, and loyal.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Flexibility, able to balance competing demands from multiple departments.
- Proactive approach—a self-starter who actively seeks ways to add value to Fifth Avenue’s mission and activities.