Salary Range: 65,000-75,000+ Full benefits package
Reports to: National Organizer
Priority Application Deadline: Priority will be given to applications received by December 18, 2020. Open until filled. *Rising Majority strongly encourages and seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, People of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
About The Rising Majority:
The Rising Majority is a Black and people of color-led broad-based coalition of multiracial groups on the political left that are committed to opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy, and patriarchy. As the national political crisis continues to unfold with the dismantling of public services, the growing power of a wealthy elite, denial of the dangers facing the planet, the growing threat of repression, and the blatant rise of white nationalists in political institutions and on the street, there is a growing urgency for the Left and POC-led social movements to align our vision and strategies and put forward a common platform for the period ahead. Our survival depends on it.
In 2017, the Movement for Black Lives convened allied organizations and movements in response to the 2016 elections, and from there the Rising Majority was formed. Our coalition is working to develop a collective strategy and shared practice that will involve labor, youth, abolition, immigrant rights, climate change, feminist, anti-war/anti-imperialist, and economic justice forces in order to amplify our collective power and to build alignment across our movements.
The Rising Majority is committed to building a powerful, anti-racist left for radical democracy. In order to leverage our collective power, we are committed to cohering movements and engaging organizations and individuals in strategies that are crucial to deepening solidarity and building power. We believe that our historical mandate and our responsibility in this moment is to depart from the pattern of scattered and siloed struggles as much as possible. Here’s how we do it:
- Throwing down around shared targets in our campaigns and organizing, knowing that the actions of an elite few affect a wide range of movements and communities;
- Developing and promoting ideas, narratives, and cultural interventions that influence popular consciousness to uproot the fundamental ideas of systems like racialized capitalism and patriarchy; and
- Coordinating and sharing leadership within our communities, among our bases, and from our organizations to practice the anti-racist, radical democracy we are fighting for.
The Digital Organizer leads the digital strategy and execution for the Rising Majority’s online presence and programs. This role weaves together a narrative strategy, organizing program, and digital strategy that is in service of our mission of building an anti-racist anti-capitalist Left for Radical democracy. The Digital organizer is responsible for maintaining our online spaces (Instagram, Facebook, Revere, Twitter, and Action Network), engaging our lists in creative online activities that are aligned with our organizing strategy, tracking the impact of our work online, and ultimately building our lists.
- Work with National Organizer to develop digital organizing strategy and content calendar that aligns with Rising Majority’s overall strategy
- Build grassroots support for RM’s work, and the work of our members
- Produce creative and informational content for RM’s social networking sites
- Assist in the execution of rapid response social media
- Recommend and initiate new technologies & improvements to our work
- Support RM endorsed campaigns
- Edit online action pages (petition pages, calls pages, etc.) using CMS platform
- Create and run A/B tests for emails, ads, and text messages as appropriate; analyze the performance of ads, emails, and text messages, and adjust content and strategies accordingly, as well as when needed to respond to breaking n
- Other duties as assigned
You’ll thrive in this role if this sounds like you:
*While no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and attributes. Even if you aren’t sure but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply!
- Demonstrated commitment to The Rising Majority’s values
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience working in a digital organizing position
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish a broad range of tasks
- Excellent writer, able to write concisely, clearly, and quickly
- Good eye for graphic design (extensive design experience is not required)
- A willingness to learn, the ability to work hard with (infrequent) irregular hours, and the ability to work independently with guidance as well as within a team
- Proven organizing ability, and effectiveness engaging potential activists, supporters, institutional leaders, and current and prospective elected officials
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and the ability to motivate people to act
- Self-starter who works well with people
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects
- Ability to initiate projects and work with minimum supervision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication, verbal and written, communication skills
- Strong understanding of communication strategy
- Attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Able to communicate effectively to a diverse set of constituencies in a diverse set of geographies
- Social justice background
We’re hoping you bring 1-2 (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Graphic design experience
- Ability to handle the shifting contexts and nuances coalition-building entails
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and has a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Project coordination/management skills
Attributes, Experience & Qualifications:
- Strong racial equity analysis, skills, and practice: You consistently integrate a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Self-initiative and advanced project management skills: You are self-directed and thrive in dynamic and ambiguous environments. You can delegate effectively, manage multiple priorities, organize a large volume of work, and keep it flowing through the pipeline. You are tenacious and proactive with the ability to get things done.
- Excellent relationship-building skills: You are able to build positive, enduring relationships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and organizations and leverage those relationships in service of organizational goals.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate virtually: You are efficient and comfortable with Google Suite, responsive via email, and willing to participate in virtual meetings as needed; and you have the ability to navigate spaces with multiple strong voices and opinions to move the group forward and land decisions with clarity.
- Mission-aligned with opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy, and patriarchy.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward building consensus and resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, and able to anticipate problems before they arise.