Communications Specialist (full-time)
Location: Los Angeles, New York or Chicago
Deadline to apply: October 4, 2018
Start date: As early as November 1,2018
About the position:
We are looking for a talented communicator to help establish a multi-channel communications strategy and media relations program across the country. We have offices in California, New York, Illinois and are quickly expanding. The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director.
About Jobs to Move America
Jobs to Move America is a national organization working to ensure that public investment in infrastructure creates cleaner, more efficient transportation systems, supports quality American manufacturing jobs, and generates career opportunities for workers, especially ones facing barriers to employment.
- Work with Communications Director to develop agency-wide strategic communications plan
- Work with Communications Director to help with rebranding and website redesign
- Draft and write press releases, talking points, op-eds, media advisories, and monthly newsletters
- Work with JMA staff to develop an editorial calendar that includes potential op-eds, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
- Implement campaign and communications tactics, effective frame and messaging for various campaigns
- Help maintain JMA website and manage JMA social media outlets
- prepare and train spokespeople for media and campaign events
- Build and maintain email lists on MailChimp
- Plan and execute media events and initiatives
- Pitch and place stories in various media outlets
- Develop content, edit and manage design for all campaign materials talking points, fact sheets, reports, pamphlets, brochures, flyers, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Develop and manage paid advertising on Facebook, Google, and Twitter through effective targeting.
- Monitor press coverage of JMA, its partners and issues impacting our work.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of JMA, and strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
- Undergraduate degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field and/or 2-4 years communications, marketing, social media, journalism or public relations experience.
- Communications experience with political advocacy campaigns, nonprofits, in labor movement, or political, community organizing, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to implement strategic communications tactics, craft persuasive messages
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, and Google Ad
- Exceptional writing and excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, and high-pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a distributed team and coalition.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, driven to succeed
- Ability to travel
- Graphic design and web content skills
- Experience creating and following daily, weekly, and quarterly workplans.
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands and meet deadline.
Compensation: 50k-57k DOE. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, 401k plan, transit passes and generous time off
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: E-mail a cover letter, resume, sample of three work samples (press releases, blog posts, communications strategies, etc. Prefer web links if possible) in one PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Job Application: Communications Specialist.” No phone calls please.
JMA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.