Development and Communications Associate
- Job posted by (LEDA) Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America
Details: Compensation: This is a part-time position, between 15-25 hours/week and not to exceed 30 hours/week. The salary for the Development and Communications Associate role is $20–$22 per hour and is commensurate with experience.
315 West 39th Street
Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America (LEDA) empowers a community of exceptional young leaders from under-resourced backgrounds by supporting their higher education and professional success in order to create a more inclusive and equitable country. LEDA believes that selective colleges are not only a gateway to opportunity, but a nexus for the development of leadership in every field. By helping talented students from under-resourced backgrounds access these institutions and providing them with the tools necessary to succeed, LEDA seeks to ensure that this country’s leadership is truly reflective of its citizenry. LEDA’s vision is to build an inclusive and equitable America where leadership reflects, celebrates, and supports diverse perspectives.
About the Position:
LEDA is seeking a highly capable, dedicated and passionate individual to join a dynamic organization at a critical and exciting stage in its nearly 15-year history. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and External Relations, the Development and Communications Associate will directly assist with fundraising efforts related to foundation, corporate and individual giving. Projects will include researching prospective donors, report and grant writing, database entry and management and select administrative tasks. The Development Associate will gain hands-on experience of the inner-workings of a burgeoning development and communications department.
The ideal candidate will be a resourceful, proactive, and possess superb written and verbal communication skills. They will have a sincere commitment to professionalism and be excited to learn about different aspects of development, communications and the nonprofit sector.
Donor Prospecting & General Grants Management
● Devise creative research methods to identify and adequately maintain donor prospect research
● Research foundation, corporate and individual prospects
● Prepare briefing documents for donor meetings
● Provide administrative support for donor cultivation projects and development campaigns
● Help draft grant materials and proposals
● Maintain a department-wide tracking system for development tasks
● Lead other special projects to facilitate prospecting and fundraising
● Help with additional efforts, including cause marketing, crowdfunding, and third-party giving sites
Database & Events Management
● Support regular updating of LEDA’s donor database
● Ensure LEDA’s mailing lists are up-to-date and integrated between all development and communications tracking systems
● Conduct corporate prospect research to support LEDA’s Annual Reception
● Provide general events management and logistical support as needed
● Assist Development and Communications Officer with the implementation of a Google Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy
● Assist in the creation and distribution of LEDA development and communications collateral
● Develop and maintain library of communications archives (including photos, video, articles, brochures, etc.)
● Provide support with the creation of digital content and maintenance of online media platforms, including LEDA’s website and social media platforms
● Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings
● Research communications best practices and assist with website and social media reporting and analytics
● Bachelor's degree required
● 2 years of experience in development at a nonprofit preferred
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and conducting research
● Experience with fundraising databases, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, graphic design and website management, a plus
● Detail oriented, ability to take the initiative, highly organized, and ability to work independently
● Ability to function effectively as a member of a team, ensuring close coordination and integration with other staff members
● Demonstrated commitment to LEDA’s mission, vision and strategic direction.
LEDA offers a flexible, collegial work environment that welcomes new ideas and innovation. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line. This position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to LEDA. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law. Please also note that this position is not eligible for health, dental or other employee benefits.