The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a nonprofit, bipartisan membership organization whose mission is to advance the well-being of all people by influencing modern approaches to sound policy, building the capacity of public agencies to enable healthy families and communities, and connecting leaders to accelerate learning and generate practical solutions together.
APHSA seeks an experienced Grants/Contracts Manager to oversee APHSA's federal and philanthropic grant awards, sub-awardee contracts, independent contractor relationships, state and local government contracts, and APHSA contract origination. This position will also manage APHSA's Request for Proposals process for procuring services from creation to final selection.
Our value proposition of Influence, Build, and Connect motivates and guides the way we do business. The team at APHSA is at the heart of our ability to deliver on our members' expectations and needs. To provide exceptional customer service, we actively work together as a team, coordinate our actions, listen to other viewpoints, and enable shared decisions through distributed leadership. We promote collective learning, focusing on producing high-impact value to our members and partners.
Grant RFP Submission
- Manage the Federal grant submission process in accordance with Uniform Guidance Code and ensure that all requirements for the System for Award Management (SAM) are met. Ensure that all sub-grantees/sub-contractors/independent contractors meet SAM requirements. Support each step of the grant process including, detailed review of RFA, completion of RFA, review of grant budget, submission of RFA, and creation of RFPs/RFQs to sub-grantees/sub-contractors/independent contractors.
- Philanthropic Grants - support each step of the grant process including, detailed review of RFP or grant submission requirements, completion of grant proposal, review of grant budget, submission of grant proposal, and creation of RFPs/RFQs to sub-grantees/sub-contractors/independent contractors.
Post-Award Grant Management – Federal and Philanthropic
- Conduct detailed review of final award agreement to ensure that APHSA is in compliance with all contract clauses throughout the life of the grant.
- Complete all technical requirements (i.e., gaining access to federal reporting and drawdown systems and/or gaining access to grantor online portal) are complete, and appropriate APHSA staff have access to federal systems.
- Create workflows and a matrix of responsibilities to guarantee that all deliverables/reporting are completed and submitted per contract schedule; drawdown requests are accurate and submitted per contract schedule; sub-contractors/sub-grantees/independent contractors submit required documentation/reports per contract schedule.
- Maintain detailed invoicing and accounts payable workflow for sub-contractors/sub-grantees/independent contractors.
- Work with APHSA HR staff and outside accounting firm to ensure that all APHSA internal systems are updated with new grant information and APHSA staff working on grant are properly identified in payroll system.
- Work with staff assigned to grant and HR department to confirm actual hours worked are accurately reflected in payroll system.
- Work with outside accounting firm to ensure grant revenue and expense recognition is accurate and properly recorded in accounting system.
- Manage federal, state, local government, and subcontractor/independent contractor contracts.
- Work with internal departments and subcontractors to ensure that all contractual deliverables are met and obligations are completed.
- Draft, review, and revise a variety of contracts, including (but not limited to) subcontracts, consulting agreements, teaming agreements, and independent contractor agreements.
- Ensure the organization's internal contract documents and records are accurate and well maintained.
- Provide advice and guidance to the different teams relating to contract generation.
- Identify opportunities to improve business processes and devise plans to implement these changes.
- Oversee the development of proposals, quotations, or other documents describing organizational products and services for the purpose of selecting vendors/independent contractors/sub-contractors/sub-grantees.
- Create workflows and a matrix of responsibilities by establishing project priorities and due dates for RFPs, selection criteria, and scoring system to evaluate submissions.
- Work with internal team members to determine the specific needs/challenges addressed by RFP(s) and what solutions would best solve the problem.
- Assist in contacting select vendors with the initial RFP, monitor progress, answer questions, and evaluate the responses.
- Develop a repository of templates, standard language, product collateral, exhibits, and other data resources to create high-quality RFPs.
- Working with Director, Engagement Operations & Marketing, develop agenda for monthly grant review meeting with APHSA staff and outside accounting firm.
- Record notes and action items from meeting and ensure completion of action items.
- Maintain accurate record of active grants and grant pipeline. Create reports/dashboards.
- Maintain accurate record of completed grants.
- Maintain accurate record of active contracts and contract pipeline. Create reports/dashboards.
- Maintain APHSA's annual registration in The System for Award Management (SAM).
- Maintain APHSA's annual DUNS number renewal.
- Liaise with APHSA staff to address any grant or contract-related issues.
- Complete and submit all state/local/federal/philanthropic organization documentation requirements pertaining to grants and contracts.
- Maintain strong working relationships and act as the main point of contact with state/local/federal/philanthropic contacts for grants and contracts.
- Complete all other related duties as assigned.
- Relevant 4-year college degree required; graduate degree/additional certifications strongly preferred.
- Minimum of three years of relative experience in a Grants Management/Contracts Manager/RFP Manager role.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Commitment to delivering exceptional customer service, internally and externally.
- Strong knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, procedures, program objectives, governing the administration of federal grants, cooperative agreements, and awards.
- Strong knowledge of internal grant management, cooperative agreements, and other related contracts; and design, develop, implement, and interpret grants management policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of financial methods, procedures, and practices to assess the financial stability of recipient of federal grants or cooperative agreements.
- Ability to analyze documents to ensure all legal and regulatory requirements are met, identify missing information, revise documents to meet regulatory and other requirements, and recommend changes to the agreement.
- Experience in creating and editing contracts.
- RFP creation and execution experience.
- Highly organized and detail oriented. Able to complete multiple projects within tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Suite. Advanced Excel user a plus.
- Familiarity with Power BI or other data visualization software.
Please email your cover letter, including your salary requirements and resume to jobs @ aphsa.org.
APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
The position is temporarily remote, but will be based home office in Arlington, VA.