606 South Olive Street
The Foundations & Development Communications Manager will powerfully convey the City Year story in grants, proposals, reports, and other written communications to ensure that CYLA maintains our $2M+ funding from foundations and secures at least $250,000 in new funding from foundations within 18 months. The Foundations & Development Communications Manager will research and build new relationships with potential funding sources as well as support the corporate and individual fundraising teams with communications projects, as needed.
As a member of the Development department, the Foundations & Development Communications Manager will:
- Write strong grants that get funded 85% of the time.
- Actively prospect new foundation funders and maintain pipeline of current foundation funders with a goal of increasing funding by $250,000 within 18 months.
- Submit reports and letters of intent in a timely manner to ensure ongoing funding from foundations.
- Contribute to writing needs of corporate fundraising team members, creating strong communications that help to ensure renewals of key partners.
- Support individual fundraising team members with writing and communications needs that keep our donors feeling connected and informed.
- Create marketing collateral for Development department including sales decks for annual fundraiser, corporate proposals, and one pager fundraising marketing fliers.
- Support speech writing for fundraising events.
- Liaise with LA Marketing and Communications Department, CY Headquarters, and other external partners on all Development communications needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous experience in fundraising, sales, or marketing preferred.
- Experience with a donor database preferred, such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint); Ability to work periodic scheduled evenings and weekends.
- Able to work effectively under pressure, handle competing priorities and respond to short deadlines with a team and independently.
- Proactive with strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage complex relationships across various levels and functional areas.
- Passion for service and a commitment to City Year’s mission and values.
- City Year/AmeriCorps experience a plus
Additional Qualities Needed
In order to succeed in this role, an applicant must have the following competencies:
- Relationship Management: Able to cross manage their peers and supervisor against internal project deadlines and initiatives. Balances their own projects against the needs of others. Able to work independently as well as on a team. Understands urgent versus important.
- Executes to Results: Strong ability to create and execute against work plans. History of meeting goals, achieving benchmarks, and holding self and others accountable. Able to identify the information needed to solve a problem, link decisions to potential consequences, and know when to escalate or seek guidance.. Strong attention to detail with a focus on results and process.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and written tailoring communication for the audience and situation. Empathetic team player who listens well and asks good questions.
- Desire to learn: City Year has a unique service model and organizational culture. Successful applicants will have strong experience and a proven track record of success in the above areas, but must also be willing and eager to continue to learn as well as be self-aware of their areas for continued professional growth and development.
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the online application and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter in the "Resume/CV" field on the "My Experience" page. Internal applicants should apply through cyresource.