Details: Based on Experience
Founded initially after September 11th, 2001, the Restaurant Opportunities Center (ROC) has grown into a national organization with more than 25,000 low-wage restaurant worker members in New York, California, Boston, Chicago, Michigan, New Orleans, Pennsylvania, Seattle, and Washington, DC. In each region, we are organizing restaurant workers, employers, and consumers to win ‘One Fair Wage’ legislation and ballot measures that will raise wages for restaurant workers and eliminate the lower wage for tipped workers, who are largely women.
Over the last 15 years, we have organized thousands of workers to win $10 million in misappropriated tips and wages and discrimination payments for low-wage workers, and significant policy changes in high-profile fine dining restaurant companies covering thousands of workers. We have partnered with 300 responsible restaurant owners to promote the 'high road' to profitability and trained more than 5,000 restaurant workers to advance to livable wage jobs within the industry. We have also published forty ground-breaking reports on the restaurant industry, obtaining significant media coverage, played an instrumental role in winning a statewide minimum wage increase and paid sick days for tipped workers, and initiated other policy campaigns at the local, state, and federal level. We own and operate restaurants called COLORS that serve as the home base for our workforce-development training and membership programs in New York and Detroit, and will be expanding COLORS to New Orleans, and Oakland.
ROC is hiring an Executive Assistant who will report to a ROC management team member.
Executive Assistant Responsibilities
• Assist with daily administrative functions such as scheduling/calendaring, answering emails and phones, data support and database management, as well as coordination of meetings/engagements based on understanding of management priorities and commitments.
• Provide comprehensive travel arrangement support.
• Maintain clear and consistent communication with management team member for follow through on tasks, assignments, and manage communication between Directors and key partners in the field.
• Assist with content management and program support functions, including logging live meeting notes, operationalizing workflow systems, drafting documents, maintaining files and records, and appropriately archiving program-related information.
• Field queries from general public, partners, stakeholders, media professionals/journalists and direct them to appropriate ROC departments as needed.
• Independently draft and design visual presentations, using graphics and data visualization tools as needed. Prepare management team member to be presentation-ready for public appearances, speaking gigs, trainings, and consultations.
• Produce professional correspondence, including drafting memos, letters, e-mail templates, meeting agendas.
• Conduct basic research as needed.
• Work independently and as part of a team on both special/nonrecurring and ongoing projects, performing event planning, project management and data generation duties as needed.
• Maintain communications for the management team member, including updating social media properties.
• Support the Research Department as needed, with discrete research tasks to support the Leadership’s speaking and press engagements.
Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Superior and continual attention to detail and follow up. This job requires expansive ability to manage large amounts of correspondence, information and expectations to help Director function smoothly.
• Ability to multitask and handle competing demands; prioritize and manage focus and productivity effectively; ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative, creativity and innovation without continuous supervision
• Excellent research, writing, editing and proofing skills.
• Ability to be discreet and judicious with non-routine and private information.
• High-level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, patience, and diplomacy
• Superior organizational skills, and the ability to iteratively create, implement, and maintain systems to improve the efficiency of the office.
• Relentless work ethic
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
• Proficiency in Mac interfaces and all Microsoft Office applications.
• Familiarity with and commitment to racial and social justice; clear understanding of FLRC's mission and programs.
• Experience in an administrative position
• High-level of proficiency and mobilization experience with all relevant social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.
• Graphic design, data visualization and presentation support skills a plus
Women, people of color, and immigrants strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Leslie@rocunited.org