The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative -- to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks an experienced Senior Recruiter and will report to the Director of Human Resources /Administration.
· Handle all aspects of the recruiting process for LDF’s NY and DC offices for attorneys and staff
· Responsible for managing web-based recruitment outreach to increase the applicant pool and attract viable candidates to LDF;
· Develop strategies for outreach and law school recruiting. Network with law school career services offices;
· Prepare job descriptions and Summer Program hiring announcements for NY and DC;
· Manage, coordinate and oversee interview process including tracking of a candidate’s progress and follow ups as appropriate;
· Serve as liaison to ad hoc recruiting committees and hiring managers;
· Assist the Litigation Department with the summer internship program, fellowships and seasonal internship(s).
· Organize and prepare weekly recruiting updates for the Senior Management Team;
· Utilize HRIS to track and maintain candidate application information, provide annual assessments and reports on market trends, recruiting opportunities, and LDF’s recruiting performance, including progress on summer and fall internship programs outcomes;
· Handle the full range of candidate communications, including outreach, interview coordination, offer and decline correspondence;
· Participate in the annual recruiting budget review with the Director of Human Resources/Administration;
· Coordinate information between the Finance Department and hiring managers regarding budget and salary. Make recommendations to hiring managers regarding budget and salary;
· Assist the Director of Human Resources/Administration with key recruiting events;
· Other responsibilities as assigned.
· Minimum of 5+ years of recruiting experience in legal and nonprofit is preferred;
· A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience;
· Knowledge of the attorney/intern recruiting process is a plus;
· Knowledge of market salary standards and LDF salary benchmarks;
· Familiarity with a recruiting database;
· Self-motivated, with an ability to navigate roadblocks, deal with the unexpected and find alternative ways to get things done;
· Strong presentation, problem solving and critical thinking skills;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills;
· Ability to multi-task and perform well under pressure;
· Capacity to meet aggressive deadlines efficiently;
· Ability to organize/prioritize work while handling multiple projects and shifting responsibilities;
· Strong attention to detail;
· Exercise strong judgement when handling confidential/sensitive matters;
· Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
· Ability to work independently with little supervision;
· Performs as a standout colleague;
· Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet operating needs.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
This position is open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Director of Human Resources/Administration
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S…