Full Time Temporary
Details: $14 per hour
120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Regional Travel and Logistics Coordinator (RTLC) Assistant is responsible for providing support to the RTLC during the busy summer season, related to hosted student departures and arrivals. This position requires sharp logistical and organizational skills, ability to create consensus amongst various parties, and the ability to multi-task successfully. The RTLC Assistants are assigned to one of 5 US gateways cities to ensure coordination and on-site management of the events.
Student "End of Stay" Event:
- Coordinate with local AFS Area Teams to ensure all logistics related to site locations, bus routings and bus chaperone travel are finalized by deadlines.
- Ensures bus routing and pick-up locations for End of Stay sites are provided to bus vendor Coordinates needed flight arrangements with AFS Travel and volunteers
- Maintains all related databases
- 24-hour on call availability while buses are enroute to Departure Day city.
Departure Day - Gateway Event Coordination
- Oversee pre-event planning including rooming, meals and meeting room requirements
- Coordinate recruitment of volunteers for Departure Day at assigned gateway city Develops volunteer job scheduling; creates rooming list for volunteers and students
- Verifies that all Departure Day volunteers are registered
- Conduct on-site training and provide ongoing support of volunteers though out the events
- Manage arrangements for event, including student arrivals, bus departures to airport and on-site meals/activities
- 24-hour on call availability during event
Arrivals - Gateway Event Coordination
- Oversee pre-event site planning including rooming, meals and meeting room requirements
- Coordinate recruitment of volunteers for Arrivals event at assigned gateway city
- Track student placements to ensure domestic flights are booked.
- Charter bus coordination for long-haul buses.
- Ensure bus chaperones are recruited and domestic travel booked
- Preparing supply mailing/travel materials to AFS Area Teams(ID cards, etc.)
- Verifies that all Departure Day and Arrival volunteers are registered
- Conduct on-site training and provide ongoing support to staff and volunteers though out the events
- Manage arrangements for event, including student arrivals/departure, meals, flight cancellations/delays.
- Ensure local volunteers are notified of any changes in domestic travel
- Airport duty as needed
- 24-hour on call availability during event
- Processes program release and travel waiver paperwork for hosted students; work with local volunteers to ensure all parties are informed and approve the release
- Track and process expenses and invoices after each event
- Maintains office and event related materials
- Confident working knowledge of Word and Excel
- Strong problem solving skills; attention to detail; highly organized
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines while handling multiple projects
- Creativity, flexibility, and the ability to work well under pressure
- Willingness to overnight with students and work overtime/weekends during busy travel season
- Willingness to travel to assigned gateway city for departure/arrival events
- Driver's license required
- One year experience in an office setting; Conference Planning experience
- Experience coordinating volunteers a plus
- Bachelor's Degree strongly preferred
- International travel and/or experience living abroad
The two available start dates are March 21, 2018 and April 18, 2018. The duration of this position will end at the ending of September.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Commuter Benefits and NY Sick Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.