36-12 35th Avenue
Position Summary : To serve as a teacher for OWN Charter School. To provide students with a first class learning experience that maximizes their intellectual, social, emotional, and physical development, including the development of their ability to apply their intellect to solving problems and contribute to their communities as enlightened and responsible citizens.
Primary Tasks :
- Share commitment to the success of the mission, vision, goals, and objectives of OWN Charter School.
- Support and fully participate in a school culture that focuses on student and adult learning.
- Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of students and own personal performance.
- Offer content and instruction that ensures student achievement of school’s academic standards.
- Support the school’s philosophy that values continuous learning for adults tied to student learning and other school goals.
- Use multiple sources of data collection to analyze barriers to student achievement and to access, identify and apply to instructional improvement.
- Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in student and school success.
Characteristic Duties and Performance Standards :
- Accept responsibility for the achievement of students.
- Guide the learning process toward achievement of curriculum goals and implementation of personal learning plans of students for general education and students with disabilities and/or IEP’s.
- Demonstrate effective planning and organization for instruction by: having lesson plans available at least one week in advance to assist in case of absence; taking attendance as required on both ATS and Power School; tracking and submitting grades accurately and on time; keeping classroom organized, neat and attractive at all times.
- Motivate students to achieve at their highest level of ability and potential through classroom activities, assignments, relationships, participation and feedback; set high expectations; and demonstrate sensitivity to different learning styles.
- Use creative instructional methods and procedures and adapt effectively to unusual situations.
- Select appropriate materials for implementation of subjects you teach and adapt materials and methods to learning styles and abilities of students.
- Use resources effectively to support learning activities in the classroom, the school, and the community.
- Demonstrate exceptional classroom techniques which include: the art of questioning, clarity of assignments, communication in large and small groups and with individual students, an atmosphere of mutual respect, independent thought and expression, and student and teacher experiences.
- Work cooperatively with parents and generate parents’ confidence in the teacher.
- Demonstrate genuine concern for students in a climate characterized by high personal and student expectations.
- Promote good citizenship through actions as a role model.
- Provide a classroom atmosphere based on the principles of firm, fair, and consistent practices, respect for individual children, and development of responsible citizenship.
- Participate in the development of policies and regulations that affect instruction and conditions for success.
- Use technology effectively for instruction, record keeping and other administrative tasks, and communications.
- Share responsibility for professional, cooperative staff relations and for out-of-class activities important to the operation of school. Serve, when asked, as a teacher-mentor.
- Conduct one’s self according to professional and ethical principles. Continually strive to improve classroom methods, teaching techniques, and interpersonal relationships. Adhere to all school policies for both students and personnel.
- Share responsibility for marketing OWN Charter School in the community.
- Display personal qualities that reflect favorably upon the individual, the group, and the school.
- Display pride in being a teacher and a member of the OWN team by displaying positive behavior and fully participating in the school culture. Attend and focus respectfully at faculty meetings and participate on committees.
- Identify and participate positively in professional development opportunities.
- Conduct and document parent conferences.
- Adhere to all procedures and policies as outlined in the Employee Manual.
- Perform various assigned responsibilities, as allowed by state and federal laws, of other employees in their absence to the extent other responsibilities permit.
Required Education/Skills :
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Education or related discipline from US accredited university or college.
- Must have appropriate credentials as designated by New York State Education Department and in accordance with definitions and requirements to be designated a highly qualified and certified teacher as defined by NCLB.
- Must be authorized to work at OWN Charter School through appropriate NYSED fingerprint clearance.
- Must demonstrate competency in all areas of content responsibility and be computer literate.
- Must be able to:
- Communicate through superior written and oral communications skills.
- Exhibit a high caliber of expertise in subject matter.
- Work on multiple projects and respond to requests and deadlines in an accurate, timely manner.
- Make sound decisions within the parameters of authority.
- Be courteous, professional and tactful at all times.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with faculty, staff, board members, parents, students, authorizer and community.
Required Qualifications :
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duly satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this position description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medical,Vision, Dental, and excellent Retirement Plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email credentials.