The Center for Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY) is a leading organization serving and representing people with disabilities in New York City. CIDNY's mission is the removal of barriers to full integration of people with disabilities. CIDNY helps people with disabilities to gain the skills and obtain the services they need to live independently in the community and advocates for fair and effective policies that improve the quality of life for people with disabilities. CIDNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
General Description: The NY Connects Program provides Information and Assistance and Options Counseling/Person-Centered Counseling on Long Term Services and Support (LTSS) for individuals with disabilities and older adults. The benefits counselor will assist consumers with information and referrals, comprehensive intake and assessment of needs, benefits eligibility screening, and appropriate follow-up. Individuals will have the opportunity to develop a person-centered independent living plan that documents their goals, steps to achieve them, services that will support them in seeking their goals, and outcomes.
· Provide information and referrals
· Screen individuals to obtain information for intake
· Conduct a full benefits eligibility review: explain eligibility rules, assist with enrollment and/or recertification, and assist with the appeal process
· Follow-up with Person-Centered Options Counseling: provide appropriate information to consumers about their options for LTSS services, assist with benefits applications, and provide appropriate referrals
· Collaborate with consumers to create appropriate goal or long term support plan and periodically review of the plan for appropriate adjustments
· Facilitate care transitions for individuals who leave institutional settings by providing information and referrals to appropriate programs
· Ensures all significant client data and service provision details are current and accurate, and that they are documented in a timely manner into CIDNY’s and the contracted provider’s databases
· Follow through all paperwork required for consumer files per agency policy
· Contribute to the NY Connects Resource Directory through information gathered through work on behalf of individuals
· Ensure confidentiality and HIPAA compliance is maintained for all consumers who use the Program, and comply with CIDNY policies on privacy and data protection;
- Attends Agency's in-service training and unit meetings as well as any other agency-related activities.
· Perform other program-related duties as assigned.
Education and/or experience required:
· BA or BS Degree with at least 5 years of experience with benefits counseling, or AA degree with at least 10 years of experience in benefits counseling.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Must be computer literate on Microsoft Programs and Internet search use
· Ability to learn new applications and database systems quickly
· Ability to interact professionally with consumers and colleagues and work independently
· Respectful and comfortable with persons from different backgrounds.
· Preference will be given to persons with a disability. Direct experience in working with people with disabilities, understanding of disability-related issues, preferred.
· Bilingual, preferred.
CIDNY is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage individuals with disabilities, women, racial/ethnic minorities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Education Required