dZi is a growing organization that is planning to increase our reach and impact in Eastern Nepal. To do so, we must ensure the highest level of accuracy and integrity in our database – the foundation of our development operations.
We are seeking a motivated, detail-oriented, and organized professional to join our team as a Database Administrator. The primary role of the Database Administrator is to manage dZi’s fundraising database and oversee gift processing and acknowledgment to support development efforts. The Database Administrator will be responsible for ensuring data accuracy and integrity; overseeing donor transactions and gift acknowledgment; directing the monthly and yearly development/finance gift reconciliation process; and running regular development reports, including weekly giving reports, monthly progress to goal reports, and development activity reports.
Fundraising and administrative data, systems, and support (50%):
- Serve as dZi’s database administrator which includes following best practices to record and maintain donor information and the letter library, and assist staff with building queries, exports, and reports.
- Ensure all gift, grant, and donor information is tracked in the database (Salsa) in a timely, systematic, and accurate way.
- Lead on developing, maintaining, and generating custom reporting that interprets giving information, distinguishes funding sources, and identifies patterns in support of targeted funder engagement strategies.
- Design and maintain systems, policies, procedures, training manuals related to the use of the database and reports.
- Respond to data retrieval requests, such as mailing lists and prospect lists, quickly and accurately.
- Manage the monthly and yearly reconciliation process between the database and the finance department’s QuickBooks report.
- Serve as the liaison for database issues, including audits, upgrades, and special projects or performance issues. Invest in ongoing learning to stay current on all uses and updates in the database.
- Work with the communications staff to obtain and analyze data from Engage, social media platforms, and other communications tools to make data-informed decisions.
Manage donor transactions and gift acknowledgment (40%):
- Oversee gift processing, which involves entering gifts accurately, reconciling gift information with the finance department, as well as executing gift acknowledgments and sending tax receipts in a timely manner.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging fundraising technologies and best practices around donor acknowledgment.
- dZi is a small team and there will be times when staff are tasked with projects outside their job descriptions. This list is not meant to be fully comprehensive or complete.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 2-5 years of experience in a nonprofit development department working with a fundraising database.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
You will excel in this role if:
- You are a curious person who loves to solve problems and are not deterred when the solution isn’t immediately clear. You care about the little details, such as making sure every person’s name is spelled right. You are extremely organized, love data, and don’t mind repetitive tasks.
- You are an analytical thinker who can synthesize large amounts of detailed information and focus quickly on the essence of an issue.
- You have a strong understanding of and demonstrable experience with fundraising CRM platforms, with the ability to build custom reports, formula fields, workflows, custom views, and other content of intermediate complexity.
- You can handle and manipulate large sets of data with accuracy and integrity.
- You have knowledge of gift processing and receipting and proficiency writing queries, forms, and reports in a CRM and Excel.
- You manage your time well, allowing you to deliver consistently, with high quality and on time.
- You have an interest in and understanding of how data and database management support fundraising performance.
- You can work both independently, as well as collaboratively, across departments, cultures, languages, and time zones in a fast-paced environment.