1701 East 13th Street
In its tenth year, motivated by data on strengths and challenges, the Board of Promise Academy (the Board) is making bold changes to build on Promise Academy’s successes and to address areas of need. These changes include making key adjustments to staffing, operations, the academic program, and student supports to support financial viability and enhance the student learning experience. The Board is looking for an outstanding instructional leader and manager to shepherd Promise into its next chapter of strong academic outcomes, financial viability, and organizational health. The Principal will report to the Board but will enjoy a significant degree of autonomy and flexibility to lead Promise to achieve these results and to build engaged, rewarding work environments that retain the most talented educators committed to ensuring college and/or career success for all students.
Instructional and Visionary Leadership
· Use knowledge of best-in-class programs and the needs of Promise Academy students, staff, and families to determine the appropriate resources and strategies to elevate the instructional vision and program of Promise Academy.
· Drive instructional excellence by setting aspirational school goals and ensuring that teachers and other staff receive appropriate, targeted coaching and professional development to meet goals.
· Prepare all students for college and/or career success by implementing a college-ready curriculum and supporting meaningful college and vocational connections, and by using multiple data points and ongoing data analysis to continually revise and improve Promise’s program.
· Supervise, coach, develop, and evaluate teachers via regular observations, feedback, coaching, and professional development.
Positive School and Community Culture
· Create a culture of high expectations and continuous improvement with a relentless focus on student engagement, outcomes, college and career readiness, operational efficiency, and self-improvement.
· Develop and maintain a safe and positive school environment in which all students are well-known by adults and have the supports to thrive, develop and grow; use data to regularly evaluate how school offerings match with student needs and innovate to bolster the school climate and enhance outcomes.
· Develop a best-in-class work environment to hire, retain, and develop exceptionally talented staff; leverage effective teacher collaboration and teaming to drive continuous improvement.
· Foster an environment of collaboration with students, families, and caregivers, building strong relationships and encouraging engagement in school experiences and providing connections to key internal and external resources to advocate for students’ and families’ needs.
Operational and Organizational Management
· Effectively collaborate and liaise with the Board in order to achieve key academic, financial, and organizational priorities, regularly communicating about progress and needs; represent Promise Academy effectively in a variety of settings to meet key organizational goals.
· Develop and manage the budget, allocating resources and supports necessary to maintain the health of the school organization.
· Oversee the Director of Operations and ensure that all budgetary and operational systems are efficient and effective to keep students engaged, maximize the student learning experience, and meet all compliance requirements.
· Determine the appropriate organizational systems and management structures to ensure all staff are set up for success.
Education and Experience:
· Master’s degree preferred
· Minimum of three years teaching experience, school leadership experience strongly preferred
· Certification or eligibility for Alternative certification as required by Ohio Department of Education preferred
· Proven track record of leading, managing, and coaching other educators to increase student achievement with a similar student population, preferably in a charter and/or urban school setting
· Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations and leading instructional programs to support special populations and different levels of learners
· Expertise in building a positive and collaborative adult culture
· Deep instructional expertise, including knowledge of standards-aligned instruction, developing student-centered classrooms, promoting personalized learning, and using instructional technology
· Experience working effectively with urban schools, students and families, and outside partners with demonstrated exemplary results
· Culturally competent and self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, disability, and other lines of difference and has personally worked in communities like Promise’s to ensure that all students have an opportunity to succeed
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindset:
· Belief in and alignment with the mission of Promise Academy and a strong passion for serving Promise’s student population
· Willingness to go above and beyond to build and contribute to the success of a dynamic team
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
· Entrepreneurial spirit with an interest in innovative practices
· Thrives in settings with autonomy, independence, and high levels of personal flexibility
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with adult stakeholders
· Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
Promise offers employees a competitive salary and benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to Promise.Academy.CLE@gmail.com with ‘Principal Candidate’ in the subject line. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Promise is a public charter school that does not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.