3501 Brehms Lane
Civic Works is immediately hiring a Retention Specialist to support Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities in retaining and advancing in a family-sustaining green career. The Retention Specialist builds strong and trusting relationships with graduates, while managing caseload of around 200 people. The Retention Specialist checks in frequently with recent graduates to support immediate retention, and provides in depth coach services to support past graduates in preparing for advancement, navigating their career pathway, and strengthening their financial resilience. The Specialist meticulously tracks all graduate interactions and outcomes in the Salesforce database, and is accountable to program retention goals.
The Center for Sustainable Careers (CSC), a program of the non-profit Civic Works, expands access to family-sustaining careers for Baltimore residents from historically marginalized communities. We support Baltimore residents in building the skills needed to secure quality employment, and employers around investing in their workers and advancing equity across their practices. The program is pioneering a three-part model of classroom and hands-on training, on-the-job learning and socially responsible business development for building a more inclusive and equitable economy. CSC provides each participants with the comprehensive case management services, hard skills, and job readiness instruction to succeed in family-supporting careers. It has four sector-based career tracks: brownfields remediation, residential energy efficiency, solar energy installation, and stormwater management. CSC also expands employment access and improves job quality among employers by promoting the adoption of inclusive hiring policies, family-supporting wages, and career ladder strategies.
Since 2003, more than 600 people have graduated from CSC. The program maintains an average job placement rate of 90% and starting wages begin at $15.25 per hour. Civic Works' green initiatives have been highlighted by Green for All, The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post, and the US Conference of Mayors. Join us in creating a more just and equitable clean energy economy. For more information on the Center for Sustainable Careers, please visit http://baltimoregreencareers.civicworks.com.
- Maintaining frequent contact with program graduates, ranging from daily to quarterly, depending on the stage of employment post-graduation.
- Meet in-person with program graduates to provide deeper retention services, including coaching around career advancement, building savings, and building and accessing credit.
- Track retention, career advancement, and post-graduation financial stability metrics on a regular basis, and meet the overall outcome goals.
- Advocate for graduates with parole/probation agents and other external systems.
- Help graduates strengthen their feedback loop with employers, ensuring that graduates clearly understand employer expectations and graduate feedback is used to help employers strengthen their practices.
- Assist unemployed program graduates with job search.
- Document all graduate interactions and outcomes in the Salesforce database.
- Distribute retention incentives to graduates.
- Experience building deep relationships, providing coaching services, and/or serving as a mentor.
- Experience working in and creating diverse, equitable, and inclusive environments.
- A deep understanding of the multiple forms of systemic and racialized inequity that prevent people from accessing and retaining employment.
- Experience in workforce development and/or a role that is structured around regularly meeting performance goals.
- Strong computer and note-taking skills required.
- Graduation from Civic Works’ Baltimore Center for Green Careers a plus.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Exceptional personal responsibility for meeting goals and a track record of success.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, and interpersonal relations skills.
- Resilient in the face of challenges; able to recognize problems, develop innovative solutions and implement them.
- Able to take into account various perspectives, and bridge gaps between graduates and employers.
- Able to adhere to a strict guideline of keeping and maintaining confidential information.
- Reliable personal transportation for use meeting graduates offsite.
- Able to build deep supporting relationships with program graduates from historically marginalized communities.
- Committed to advancing racial equity across systems in Baltimore.
The salary level for this position is competitive. In addition, healthcare, paid leave and retirement benefits are included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Eli Allen, Director of the Baltimore Center for Green Careers, at email@example.com and include "Retention Specialist" in the subject line. Applicants will be hired on a rolling basis.