Social Worker (Bilingual English/Spanish REQUIRED)
- Job posted by University Settlement Society of New York
189 Allen Street
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
Established older adults program provides comprehensive services to the diverse population of the Lower East Side. These services incorporate the Department for the Aging Health and Wellness model into the daily activities. Services include congregate and homebound meals, case assistance, social and recreational activities. Ongoing training and professional supervision provided.
- Perform intake, on-going assessment, and develop individualized, goal-oriented service plans to ensure that participants remain healthy, in their homes, and receive the social, recreational, and health services they need.
- Provide outreach, information, case assistance, entitlement evaluation, referrals and advocacy
- Link services to homebound and at-risk older adults to promote successful community living.
- Provide crisis intervention and counseling as needed.
- Coordinate and bridge services and case conferences and ensure seamless service delivery.
- Document services provided to clients in writing (hard files and web-based case management system); keep client files up to date; provide regular statistical reporting on outcomes.
- Coordinate with LEARN staff for quality control and integration of services
- Assist in designing documents or forms for record-keeping and outreach purposes; assist in program planning and evaluation
- Assist with daily tasks for Meals on Wheels program – ordering, phone calls, changing route sheets, coordinating with meals on wheels case managers and contractor
- Assist with program activities
- Complete data entry into DFTA database system and Salesforce daily, weekly and monthly
- Participate in team meetings and coalition meetings
- Attend professional development trainings
- Keep up-to-date on all information and resources pertaining to older adults
- Collaborate with program staff and supervisors in a professional manner
- Other duties as assigned by program director
- Master’s degree in Social Work, LMSW preferred
- At least one to two years of experience or more working with older adults
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, patience, and professionalism
- Working knowledge of social theories and practices
- Social perceptiveness and empathy
- Ability to build and maintain professional helping relationships
- Ability to relate and communicate with diverse population and groups
- Resilience along with ability to assess situations
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office
- Must have strong attention to detail and able to work independently
- Must demonstrate strong commitment to working in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to engage hard to reach populations
- Excellent verbal and written skills required – writing sample will be requested at interview
- Extensive knowledge of benefits programs and advocacy skills required
- Bilingual English/Spanish required, must be fluent in written and spoken Spanish- writing sample will be requested at interview
- Will be required to obtain CPR/AED certification upon hire
Hours: 35 hours per week
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English and Spanish REQUIRED.
There will be a writing assignment during the interview.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter and resume.