New York, New York
Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy group in the country, is seeking a talented, detail-oriented attorney to work as an independent contractor with Everytown’s Litigation, Policy & Research and Criminal Justice Policy and Enforcement (“CJP&E”) teams on requests for records pursuant to the federal Freedom of Information Act and similar state open records statutes.
We are looking for a candidate with public-spirited ambitions to make a difference and join the fight to save lives. The position is part-time (10-20 hours per week). Working out of the New York office, the contractor will be responsible for:
- Drafting and submitting requests to federal, state and local agencies for records pursuant to FOIA and analogous state statutes
- Coordinating requests for various Everytown departments where appropriate
- Maintaining a tracking system for submitted records requests that includes deadlines and expected response dates
- Following up with government agencies regarding status of records requests
- Conducting legal research on FOIA-related matters and advising on options for challenging government agencies’ responses to records requests
- Preparing administrative appeals and complaints in federal and state courts challenging government agencies’ responses to records requests
- Coordinating with outside counsel on public records litigation
- J.D. from accredited law school
- 2-4 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Experience with FOIA and analogous state statutes preferred
- Must feel comfortable calling government offices.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively collaborate.
- Ability to track and manage multiple projects in a fast-moving environment and deliver timely, high-quality work
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, flexibility, creativity, and a professional demeanor
- Ability to work in a sometimes-hectic, open plan office
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.