47 Maple Street
Organizational Profile and Culture
1% for the Planet is a global organization that connects dollars and doers to accelerate smart environmental giving. We are motivated by our recognition that the current level of environmental giving - only 3% of total philanthropy - is not enough to solve the most pressing issues facing our planet. Through our business and individual membership, 1% for the Planet inspires people to support environmental organizations through annual membership and everyday actions. We advise on giving strategies, we certify donations, and we amplify the impact of the network.
Started in 2002 by Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, and Craig Mathews, founder of Blue Ribbon Flies, our members have given more than $175 million to environmental nonprofits to date. Today, 1% for the Planet is a network of more than 1,400 member businesses, a new and expanding core of hundreds of individual members, and thousands of nonprofit partners in
more than 40 countries. Our headquarters are located in Burlington, VT with staff located around the world.
Our organization has an entrepreneurial culture that demands leadership and innovation from all levels, with each staff member representing a critical component of organizational success. We are looking for committed, passionate leaders, wanting to make a positive change in the environmental landscape.
The Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer has primary responsibility for our corporate and foundation giving, and coordinates shared operational responsibilities within the Development Team. Specifically, the Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer will maintain our development planning calendar, ensuring that we meet all deadlines; will manage and grow our portfolio of corporate donors; will manage and grow our portfolio of foundation accounts; and will contribute as needed to the overall goals of the Development Team.
The current team at 1% for the Planet is small, but scrappy. Each of us is deeply committed to accelerating the mission of the organization, and we see every person and position throughout the organization as holding equal import to our success. We all dig deep to achieve our objectives, but we also believe in celebrating success and loving what we do every day.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is an organized go-getter who is able both to take initiative and to collaborate effectively to meet both individual and Development Team goals. The 1% for the Planet team is entrepreneurial, innovative, and motivated. Outside of our work, we mirror our members’ enthusiasm for the planet, for giving back, and for the desire to make the world a better place. Our team is composed of self-directed, creative, and innovative thinkers who actively embrace opportunities for growth and regularly use influence and persistence to identify and secure additional resources to drive the mission forward. The ideal Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer will be an excellent communicator, a goals-oriented professional, and a true team player.
The Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer will execute a number of strategies and tactics focused on driving philanthropic revenues in support of 1% for the Planet as an organization.
The person in this role will be responsible for four primary goals:
- Identify, grow, develop, and manage our portfolio of corporate donors and prospects, regularly engaging in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of these donors – including grant writing when relevant.
- Identify, grow, develop, and manage our portfolio of foundation donors and prospects, regularly engaging in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of these donors – including primary responsibility for writing foundation proposals.
- Move all portfolio accounts – corporate and foundation – through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship in order to meet or exceed the organization’s budgeted development targets.
- Coordinate closely with Individual Gift Officer and CEO on the overall Development Team work plan, ensuring that the team is tracking and adapting to focus on highest priority work.
Reporting to the CEO, the Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing a portfolio of 50-75 corporate donors and/or prospects.
- Developing and managing, a portfolio of 15-20 foundation donors and/or prospects.
- Providing administrative and coordinating functions within the development team, in concert with the Individual Gift Officer, to ensure that all development functions are accomplished effectively and efficiently.
- Working collaboratively with the CEO and Individual Gift Officer to determine and set in motion donor strategies for our overall portfolio of corporate, foundation, and individual donors, and approaches to securing new prospects.
- Embodying a deep understanding of 1% for the Planet’s mission and programs, and ensuring that this is well represented in all work.
- Staying well-versed on 1% for the Planet programs and outcomes to support effective corporate and foundation gift solicitation and closure.
- Ensure the timely documentation of contact reports and other donor information utilizing Salesforce.
- Project and track portfolio of corporate and foundation gifts, forecast revenues, and maintain diligent expense management. The Corporate and Foundation Gift Officer will be expected to effectively adjust strategies when necessary according to results.
- Ensure portfolio of corporate and foundation donors are effectively stewarded and receive regular stewardship communications as to the impact of their giving.
- As part of the Development Team, meaningfully contribute to meeting and exceeding the organization’s annual fundraising goals.
- Bring donor and community feedback into 1% for the Planet, to assist with program development and strategic planning.
- Embrace the entrepreneurial spirit of our work by undertaking other responsibilities, projects, and initiatives as assigned.
Job Qualifications – the ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Undergraduate degree or the equivalent
- 3-4 years of related professional experience, including a demonstrated track record of gift solicitation and closure as a frontline fundraiser.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including specific grant writing skills and experience
- Ability to develop deep relationships with stakeholders, remotely from your desk as well as through in-person visitation.
- Experience and comfort with utilizing CRM software (e.g. Salesforce).
- A demonstrated understanding of moves management and the donor continuum.
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- A passion for the role of the nonprofit sector, sustainable business, and strategic partnerships to drive broader environmental impact.
- Established proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and Google Suite.
- A high degree of critical thinking ability and willingness to take initiative.
Full benefit package
Minimum Education Required