District of Columbia
The United State of Women is a national organization for any woman who sees that we need a different America for all women to survive and thrive — and wants to work collectively to achieve it. USOW amplifies the work of organizations and individuals at the forefront of the fight for women’s equality, and provides tools, access and connections that help women see and step into their power to break down the barriers that hold women back.
The United State of Women is a part of Civic Nation, a non-profit organization that uses organizing, engagement and public awareness to address some of the nation’s most pressing challenges. With public and private partners, Civic Nation builds tools and campaigns that turn great ideas into action. Its other large-scale public awareness and organizing initiatives include the College Promise Campaign, It’s On Us, Reach Higher/Better Make Room, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, Erase the Hate and #VoteTogether.
The Development Director will be responsible for developing and implementing a fundraising strategy that attracts, educates, motivates, and inspires donors. The position reports to the Managing Director of the United State of Women and plays a critical role in achieving fundraising goals in order to expand the organization. The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit and thrives working on new projects with ambitious goals.
- Develop and implement individual and corporate giving strategy and efforts to meet fundraising targets.
- Develop individual and corporate donor base by cultivating, retaining, and expanding relationships with a wide range of donors, including donors who are new to giving to gender equality.
- Routinely perform identification, cultivation, and stewardship activities such as identifying prospects, following up with individuals, providing acknowledgment of donations, and reporting on the impact of gifts.
- Identify grant opportunities from foundations.
- Solicit gifts from individual and corporate donors.
- Ensure that donors experience high-quality interactions that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Track fundraising efforts through Blue State Digital database.
- Assist with case development process and creation of donor-ready collateral materials.
- Assist with writing grant proposals and reports and online giving strategy as needed.
- Plan and execute several fundraisers each year in New York, DC, LA, San Francisco or Chicago.
- 4-6 years of experience, particularly at an advocacy-focused organization.
- Demonstrated success soliciting one-on-one gifts, preferably of five figures or above.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain positive relationships with donors and prospects.
- Respect for confidentiality of donor information and a deep understanding of donor ethics.
- Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong research and networking skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A friendly, outgoing, and collaborative approach along with a team-oriented style.
- Knowledge of and passion for increasing civic engagement, especially within higher education.
- A belief in the mission and vision of the United State of Women.
- Ability to work in a start-up environment with start-up hours.
Washington, DC preferred
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Civic Nation fully covers the cost of health, dental, and vision insurance; and offers a $50 monthly mobile phone stipend.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “USOW Development Director” in the subject line of the email.
Civic Nation is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Civic Nation will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.