1350 Connecticut Ave, NW
District of Columbia
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC
Summary of Position
The National Juvenile Defender Center (NJDC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring justice for all children through excellence in juvenile defense. Through community building, training, and policy reform, we provide national leadership on juvenile defense issues with a focus on curbing the deprivation of young people’s rights in the court system.
Our reach extends to urban, suburban, rural, and tribal areas, where we elevate the voices of youth, families, and defenders to create positive case outcomes and meaningful opportunities for children. We also work with broad coalitions to ensure the reform of juvenile courts includes the protection of children’s rights — particularly the right to counsel.
The Staff Attorney is responsible for conducting legal research and writing on issues related to enhancing juvenile defense practice and policy; building and maintaining community partnerships with juvenile defenders, youth and families, and juvenile court system decision makers; and working with the NJDC team to craft creative, forward-thinking strategies to improve juvenile defense and reflect NJDC’s vision.
NJDC is seeking an attorney with 2 to 4 years of experience who is committed to advancing improvements in juvenile defense policy and practice and who loves to research and write, think critically, and is eager to build a career at the intersection of youth justice and social change. The position encompasses a diverse set of responsibilities, including but not limited to the following:
· Provide support to juvenile defense attorneys and public defender offices nationwide, as well as law schools, legal clinics, and nonprofit law centers
· Research, draft, and edit compelling legal content to communicate issues to juvenile defenders, court practitioners, and the general public
· Respond to requests for assistance related to juvenile defense policy and practice
· Contribute to NJDC's newsletter, website content, and social media
· Offer bold, creative ideas
· Manage all tasks as assigned with a positive demeanor and team player attitude
Skills & Qualifications
· Juris Doctorate and comprehensive understanding of the ways in which legal services are delivered to children in the justice system
· 2 – 4 years of legal experience, with recent juvenile defense experience preferred
· Excellent writing and editing skills
· Proven passion for juvenile defense
· Experience planning and implementing legal projects and programs a plus
· Ability to balance multiple projects and work under tight deadlines
· Demonstrated ability to engage and cultivate relationships with diverse constituents
· Interest in collaborative teamwork, while also able to operate autonomously under minimal supervision
· Occasional evening or weekend work and ability to travel
· Sense of humor and positive mindset required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No calls please. This position is available immediately. Applications will be accepted until position is filled but priority will be given to applications received by April 30, 2018.
NJDC is an equal employment opportunity employer and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status or family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, matriculation or political affiliation, and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws.