462 36th Street
About the position:
Atlas DIY’s legal team has been recognized by many public and private bodies including the Echoing Green Foundation, the Immigrant Justice Corps, the New York City Council, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. The Managing Attorney plays an important leadership role at Atlas, ensuring that Atlas provides the highest-quality legal and informational services to the communities with whom we work. The Managing Attorney will provide supportive leadership to a team of attorneys, legal interns, and a pro se community immigration clinic based at our multipurpose community center in Sunset Park Brooklyn. They will also be directly responsible for a caseload of approximately 20 cases. As a member of Atlas’s leadership team, the managing attorney will collaborate closely with Atlas’s education, advocacy, and outreach staff. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Deputy Director.
- Ensure that Atlas practices culturally-conscious and client-centered lawyering and helps our clients understand their cases and the relevant legal procedures they navigate.
- Provide supportive mentoring, coaching, and supervision to a growing and passionate legal team that currently includes two staff attorneys, seasonal legal interns, and a pro se application assistance clinic led by a DOJ-accredited representative and staffed by youth legal assistants who are Atlas members. This includes conducting and arranging ongoing professional development for the legal team.
- Provide direct legal representation to immigrant youth, ages 14-24, and their derivatives in affirmative and defensive asylum, SIJS, U-visa, T-visa, and adjustment of status.
- Actively support, advise, and participate in Atlas’s work in community engagement, advocacy, education, and youth development. This includes supporting community KYR presentations and legal education with our members.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure that Atlas manages relationships directly relevant to our legal service work including with policy working groups, legal service funders, community coalitions, elected officials, and the press.
- Contribute to the overall direction, culture, and voice of the organization as a member of Atlas’s leadership team.
- Ensure accurate case management and recordkeeping. Work with Atlas development and admin staff to ensure proper external reporting to relevant partners and funders. Work with executive director and administrative staff to ensure that Atlas’s legal practice is in compliance and good standing with all relevant bodies and agencies.
- Perform other duties as required
- Admission to the New York State bar and at least five years of relevant immigration law experience, including forms of humanitarian immigration relief in both affirmative and defensive contexts;
- At least one year of experience supervising attorneys is highly preferred;
- Experience working with immigrant youth is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Atlas: DIY, to immigrant rights, and a strong belief in the agency and capacity of young people to be leaders and changemakers.
- Demonstrated passion for social justice and advancing equity
- Ability to provide supportive and consistent mentoring and supervision in an ever-changing practice area
- Interest in management and developing management skills;
- Team player, able to collaborate and work well with others
- Desire to grow and learn with a young organization.
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills;
- Consistently meets agreed on expectations and follow through on their commitments
- A pro-active clear, direct, and sensitive written and verbal communicator
- Ability to thrive in culturally and linguistically diverse settings
This position is full time and exempt. Annual salary range will be at minimum in the $70,000s depending on experience and qualifications. Atlas DIY also offers a generous benefits package including subsidized health, dental, and vision plans, individual annual professional development budgets, generous time-off policies, and opportunities for professional advancement in a growing organization. Atlas DIY is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Subject Line: Managing Attorney
- Body of Email: A statement of Interest
- Attach as a PDF: A resume/CV
**Please note that finalists will be asked to provide references and writing samples.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.