About KIPP NYC
KIPP NYC is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in the Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible in for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of five elementary schools, five middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. We are also excited to be opening two new schools in August 2018 – KIPP Freedom Elementary School and KIPP Freedom Middle School!
The KIPP NYC Director of Payroll & Benefits Administration will be responsible for the overall evaluation, coordination and administration of the payroll and employee benefits functions at KIPP NYC. This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to enhance and develop HR tools, systems, and processes to help a thriving, successful organization reach its next level of growth. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Payroll & Benefits Administration will manage a team of four Payroll and HR professionals in a dynamic, high-performing environment with a particular service oriented focus. The right candidate will embrace continuous learning and innovation, be willing to get his/her hands dirty, and relish the challenge of finding ways to work smarter and more efficiently. They will also have a passion for the mission of KIPP NYC and embody our mantra “Work Hard. Be Nice.”
This position is based at the KIPP NYC Shared Services Team (SST) office in Midtown Manhattan, and requires monthly travel to KIPP NYC schools and programs, located in Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
HR Strategy & Customer Service Delivery
- Regularly evaluate and seek to improve KIPP NYC’s employee wellness strategy through programs and initiatives intended to benefit the health and well-being of our employees
- Develop communication strategy to increase regional understanding of payroll and benefits-related topics, including benefit offerings, employee self-service platforms and KIPP NYC HR policies
- Coordinate team response approach for employee inquiries regarding benefits, compensation and HR policies
- Collaborate with the Director of Employee Experience to support the complete employee life cycle at KIPP NYC
HR Systems & Data Management
- Manage vendor relationships and administration of all employee benefits programs, including health, life/disability, 403(b), pension, transit, unemployment, etc.
- Collaborate with Tech and Finance Teams to refine HR systems and data management strategy, utilizing technology to facilitate efficient and cohesive workflows
- Develop and manage audit processes that ensure accuracy of data entry, such as new hires, rehires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, FLSA status changes, schedule changes, and benefit enrollments, etc.
- Partner with Finance to reconcile benefit billing and ensure accurate and timely payment of vendors
Payroll & Compensation Management
- Oversee the Payroll Manager in delivering timely, accurate semi-monthly payroll across KIPP NYC’s 10 payroll entities
- Ensure timely filing of payroll tax information to state and federal authorities.
- Work with the Controller to streamline payroll data and processes for all financial reporting.
- Collaborate with Finance and Recruitment Teams to make salary recommendations for new hires and promotions.
- Be a thought leader in contributing to KIPP NYC’s ongoing compensation strategy, monitoring wage and salary trends to ensure KIPP NYC remains competitive in the market
- Manage and provide professional development for Payroll and Benefits Administration Team, including training, coaching and performance management.
- Leverage strengths of team members to create a positive work environment with high employee engagement.
- Partner with the Director of Employee Experience to create KIPP NYC performance evaluation strategy
- College graduate with at least 7 years of work experience, including at least 4 years of experience leading a team to data driven results in an HR function
- HR Certification preferred (SPHR, SHRM-SCP)
- Exceptional project management skills, especially in managing multiple priorities simultaneously while still sweating the small details
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative, analytical thinker with an ability to quickly implement thoughtful solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in ADP Workforce Now 8.0, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Passionate commitment to KIPP NYC’s mission and to high standards of excellence
- Zest, grit, hope, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit an application online http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0X0W000009lMOMUA2&site=new+york