Tahirih Justice Center, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks a paralegal to support the Houston team in the representation of immigrant women and children fleeing gender violence in their asylum cases, claims brought under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), T and U visa applications, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status and certain family law-based claims. Under the direction of the Legal Department’s Managing Attorney, the individual will be responsible for a variety of paralegal and administrative support functions.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
· Screen potential clients and conduct intakes
· Provide service seekers and clients with information and referrals
· Prepare immigration forms and filings, gather supporting evidence, and assemble application packets
· Draft correspondence
· Schedule client meetings
· Provide interpretation and translation as needed
· Provide administrative support
· Maintain case files in accordance with Tahirih policies and program requirements
· Close files and prepare closing letters
· Provide training and mentoring support to interns, staff and volunteers
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· At least one year of experience providing paralegal, administrative and clerical support in an office setting
· Cultural humility and a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
· Fluency in Spanish or another language in addition to English strongly preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Responsible and self-initiating with ability to work independently and also collaboratively in a team
· Organized with the capacity to troubleshoot and resolve problems
· Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.