Campus Coordinator: Reproductive Justice on College Campuses
- Job posted by The Women's Foundation of California
Details: • This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary range of $44-$55K. Salary offer will be dependent on experience.
The Women’s Foundation of California seeks THREE highly motivated Campus Coordinators for the JustCARE Campaign (Campus Action for Reproductive Equity). The Campaign provides training and financial support to students to take leadership on their campuses regarding medication abortion and other Reproductive Justice (RJ) issues. The Campus Coordinator positions will be focused by region, one position is available in each location: Northern California (Sacramento or Oakland), Central California (Visalia), and Southern California (Los Angeles) and will be based out of the office locations of Campaign partners.
Students face many obstacles in accessing abortion services off-campus—including lack of nearby clinics that provide abortion services, limited access to transportation, and financial and other logistical barriers. These barriers can delay necessary care. No student health care center at California’s public institutions of higher education currently provides medication abortion services, despite the fact that this is an easy and safe service to provide. The College Student Right to Access Act, a bill to be introduced in the California legislature, would require all on-campus student health centers at public universities to provide medication for early pregnancy termination for its students.
The Women’s Foundation of California, working with other organizational partners, is managing and coordinating a campaign to engage students on University of California and California State University campuses to engage with the California legislature on this issue. The campaign, JustCARE, provides training and financial support to students to take leadership on their campuses regarding medication abortion and other Reproductive Justice issues.
Base Building and Outreach
- Maintain an accurate and comprehensive database of campus RJ organizations and organizers.
- Track and report progress, leadership development and all outreach activities.
- Represent JustCARE at campus and community events.
- Cultivate knowledge of tools and technologies to increase constituent engagement.
- Maintain regular/weekly contact with campaign manager.
- Interact and engage with partner organizations for the co-benefit of the campaign and participating organizations.
Reproductive Justice Campus Organizing
- Identify, build, train and develop a diverse base of young leaders and activists to run campus reproductive justice campaigns.
- Oversee grants program to ensure student groups are receiving funding to develop and coordinate their own organizing on campus.
- Inspire grassroots activism for the purpose of building active, visible local support for sexual health, reproductive rights and gender justice
- Provide or arrange for training for student organizers
- Work with staff and bill sponsors to plan, develop, and implement trainings and Advocacy Days.
- Facilitate meetings and strategy sessions
- Provide technical assistance, training, materials and resources to student organizers
- Create organizing manuals to assist students in meeting with student health center staff, tabling on campus, creating workshops/teach-ins and/or campus educational materials
- Supporting students in creating communications regarding The College Student Right to Access Act (campus paper articles, videos, etc.)
- Coordinate visits for students to meet with legislators in their district offices, supported with materials, talking points, and additional coaching as needed.
- Help identify students who have compelling stories about abortion access, connecting them directly with the communications firm to develop some of their stories for personal use in testimony before the legislature.
- Organize lobby days prior to committee hearings for The College Student Right to Access Act with the goal of 30 students participating in each lobby day, attending the hearing and giving “me too’s”.
- Create an informational tool to update students on the justCARE campaign.
- Minimum 1-2 years relevant experience, including grassroots campaigns, community organizing, preferably with a social and racial justice focus;
- Strong commitment to reproductive and gender justice, including access to abortion; to the rights of all individuals to make their own decisions about sexual and reproductive health; and to the government’s responsibility to defend and support those rights;
- Demonstrated commitment to college activism;
- Experience working with diverse communities;
- Strong working knowledge of best practices in campaigns, knowledge and experience with organizing in California, especially California counties;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills for a variety of media and audiences;
- Highly collaborative style; Able to work independently as well as within a team, set and achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment;
- Creative thinker, strong project manager, self-starter and detail-oriented communicator with a positive approach, can-do attitude and a sense of humor;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create positive, long-term working relationships; demonstrates tact, dependability, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the month, and work some evening and weekends;
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter;
- Ability to work well with a team, take direction and feedback, and share skills and knowledge;
- Flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Willingness to identify, develop and take on new opportunities to further JustCARE’s mission;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, Google Suite, and other web/online tools;
- In-depth understanding of the complexities of gender and sexuality, that neither is fixed, and an active practice of inclusion of all genders centering transgender and gender non-conforming people.
- We provide 15 days paid vacation to start which increases over time (20 days after 5 years, and 25 days after 10 years); 12 paid sick days, 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule. These benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
- We provide paid parental leave.
- We provide medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, flexible spending account, fitness reimbursements, a 401(k) retirement plan match, transportation benefits, and AD&D insurance with the Foundation covering 100% of the costs of the insurance package for full-time employees and 90% for dependents. These benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Campus Coordinator. Please indicate your preferred region. Position opened 11-7-2017 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. All documents need to be Microsoft Word or PDF files (PDF files are preferred).