7111 5th Avenue
The Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks a professional, motivated and highly organized individual to join our team as a social service case worker. The case worker plays a critical role in supporting our clients through a variety of clerical activities and related tasks.
The social services case worker is responsible for assisting clients with non-immigration social services paperwork including public benefits applications, signing up children for school, and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/ food stamps applications. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in Social Work or those currently enrolled in social work programs.
The ideal candidate will be able to compassionately and efficiently handle cases while strengthening and supporting the community. Fluent English and working Arabic is preferred for this position, and a strong desire to empower and support the Arab-American community is preferred. The social service case worker reports to the HR/Office Manager and works in coordination with all the staff.
The Social Services case worker is expected to commit at least 20-25 hours/week of work with the Association; hours and days are somewhat flexible.
· Assist with completing social service and SNAP forms and applications.
· Interpreting, translating for clients.
· Provide individual case management related to SNAP, SSI, and other social services
· Make copies of, and file application forms for clients
· Maintain confidential client database and case work files for individual clients
· Filling out government documentation.
· Filing documents for clients on paper or electronically
· Making copies of all documents in an organized and secure manner
· Recording clear case notes of all interactions
· Directing interns and volunteers in casework assistance
· Dynamic problem solving for unique and challenging cases
· Maintenance of data and filing system for grant compliance
· All other work as assigned by the Director of Social Services for the program
· Ensures confidentiality and compliance with audits.
· Assisting clients with resumes, cover letter etc.
· Career counseling/ Recruiting services.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Experience working with immigrant populations
- Prefer some experience with customer service, completing social services.
- Able to work consistent weekly hours
- High-level written and verbal communication skills is a must.
- Extremely well-organized and manages their time effectively.
- Cultural competency and experience working with communities of color.
- Commitment to social justice, and a passion for local work.
· Has a contagious and positive work ethic, inspires others and models the values of the Arab American Association of New York;
· Demonstrate strong leadership skills: whether your managing a group of interns or volunteers to help in the front desk, you will need to keep a level head, be able to multitask and have excellent people skills;
· Maintain a calm, cool, and collected demeanor always and be able to work with clients that are under profound stress;
· Previous experience in a professional office preferable;
· Familiarity or experience with community-based organizations is an asset;
· Must be able to maintain and preserve clients’ confidentiality and personal information. The
· sharing of such information is not tolerable and breaches AAANY’s confidentiality and code of conduct policy and could be grounds for termination from your position;
· Ability to multi-task effectively camp; comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
· Problem-solving nature responds with urgency and creativity.
· Excellent communication skills, including in person, by phone, and by email
· An effective team player who contributes valuable ideas and feedback and can be counted on to meet commitments.
· refer individuals with experience with Microsoft Office Suite
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be proficiency in spoken Arabic
Proficiency in spoken and written English
Minimum Education Required