Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks an Email Marketing Manager. This position, which will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, will use a data-driven approach to run the organization’s growing email communication program. From start to finish, this role will plan, draft and execute email campaigns to achieve fundraising, advocacy, and organizing goals, as well as to engage, grow and diversify our base of supporters through paid and organic growth strategies.
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer, and vouchers.
As part of this strategy, the organization is seeking a candidate with digital non-profit fundraising, analytics, and written communications skills to hit the ground running and take ownership over our growing email communications program. The candidate will also work with the Communications team to roll out a new brand and positioning in 2022, developing strategies to reach and educate new target audiences.
The responsibilities of the Email Marketing Manager include:
● Work with the VP for Strategic Communications and the Director of Direct Response Marketing to develop email campaigns that meet or exceed fundraising goals, support organizational initiatives, drive action for advocacy and optimize user performance and experience, based on data-driven messaging.
● Manage all aspects of AU’s e-marketing program, including:
○ Collaborate with other members of the communications team and other departments to create, populate and manage an organization-wide email calendar;
○ Manage email revenue budget and email calendar in collaboration with the Director of Direct Response Marketing to ensure revenue targets are met;
○ Draft email content that is creative, inspiring, and engaging;
○ Draft and execute a weekly AU newsletter;
○ Cultivate AU’s voice, and the voice of senior AU staff and messengers, including AU’s CEO and Vice Presidents, and AU legal clients;
○ Build online petitions, advocacy actions, sign-up forms, and other landing pages, and draft engaging copy to match visual elements that engage prospects;
○ Copy edit all emails and utilize 3rd-party tools like Litmus to quality check all emails;
○ Set up emails including design, production, segmentation, and dissemination of all emails;
○ Track email deliverability, spam score, and domain health keeping up with the latest industry knowledge and trends to ensure the health of the email program; and
○ Determine audiences for every email communication and use segmentation to maximize engagement, prevent list burn-out, and improve deliverability.
● Collaborate regularly with the Director of Direct Response Marketing to align the email program with fundraising goals and initiatives. Participate as a member of the Development team when appropriate.
● Work with the VP for Strategic Communications, the Director of Direct Response Marketing, and VP of Outreach and Engagement to engage, grow and diversify our donors, members and supporters.
● Brainstorm, prioritize, execute and analyze the results of A/B tests and new email strategies/tactics.
● Conduct and analyze performance analytics to identify the most effective strategies and messages.
● Develop reports of analytics findings to share with VP for Strategic Communications, the Director of Direct Response Marketing, and other staff.
● Advise other team members and departments on email best practices and opportunities for email activations, list growth, and member engagement.
● Provide routine fundraising and advocacy updates.
● Support aspects of AU’s relationship with the agency of record for direct response marketing as well as any additional email marketing vendor, including contract renewals and updates as needed.
● Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills, and Abilities Required
● Minimum of 3-6 years professional email marketing experience with a proven record of success.
● Experience working with a CRM like EveryAction/NGP VAN or similar email software required.
● Experience gathering data and using data to drive strategic decisions regarding email activations paid and free list growth opportunities, and fundraising tactics.
● Basic HTML/CSS skills required.
● Ability to troubleshoot email coding and email marketing software issues.
● Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills and strong project management skills required.
● Experience working with an advocacy organization strongly preferred.
● Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communication/PR, marketing, journalism, government, or a related field.
● Ability to take complex, wonky policy/legal jargon and convert it into compelling, engaging, and simple actionable content.
● Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline with the ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
● Ability to manage up, collaborate with other departments on multiple projects and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
● Ability to think strategically about AU’s big-picture goals and align the email program within those goals.
● Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. We welcome people who will want to help us protect religious freedom for all and help to protect the separation of church and state, and we recognize that that requires diverse perspectives.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying, and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
● Religion does not dictate public policy.
● The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
● Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks an Email Marketing Manager. This position, which will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, will use a data-driven approach to run the…
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Salary is $60,000-75,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefits package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) with match, and commuter subsidy.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Salary is $60,000-75,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefits package including health…