Girls on the Run is a life-changing, character development program for girls in 3rd through 8th grade. Our mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, confident and healthy using an experience-based curriculum, which creatively integrates running. Our mission is accomplished by giving girls the tools to make positive choices for a healthy body and mind, while reducing the many risks they face today. A 501(c)3, Girls on the Run of Montgomery County, MD is one of over 200 independent councils of Girls on the Run International. The program has grown from serving 8 teams in spring 2007 to serving over 4,000 girls on over 100 teams in fiscal year 2019.
Reporting directly to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Development Director is a full-time role that is responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all fundraising programs, including individual donor cultivation, major gifts and planned giving, corporate sponsorships, annual campaigns, outreach and special events. The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director in creating the annual development plan and executing the goals for fundraising programs to generate new and increased revenue for the organization.
- Development, implementation, management, and evaluation of all activities related to individual giving.
- Development and management of a Major Gifts Program, including research, identification of potential donors and developing and maintaining relationships. Work with the Executive Director and Board to secure major gifts.
- Conduct donor outreach and engagement; research and cultivate potential new corporate and individual donors; re-engage past and maintain current supporters.
- Fully engage members of the Board of Directors in fundraising activities; provide Board members with the tools, training, and motivation to be partners in development efforts.
- Oversee the planning and coordination of board-led fundraising efforts and friend-raising events, such as house parties and regional gatherings.
- Evaluate progress towards goals, prepare monthly reports for the Executive Director offer assessments and propose adjustments as needed.
- Oversee the ongoing integrity of donor information, maintain and analyze pertinent data, ensure the processing of appropriate gift acknowledgements.
- Coordinate with Executive Director to develop GOTR's corporate relations program, creating sustainable partnerships with companies to generate awareness, visibility, and financial support for the organization.
- Responsible for the supervision and management of the fundraising database and ensuring the timely distribution of tax receipts.
- Coordinate with Executive Director and Development Committee to develop and grow GOTR-Montgomery County’s Major Gifts Program and SoleMates Program.
- Collaborate with staff, board and volunteers to gather stories and statistics that demonstrate the results and value of our programs.
- Act as staff liaison to the Development Committee.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Director to implement a strategic communications agenda, generate ideas and create content for public communications to include social media and the website, recommend improvements.
- Partner with organizations with similar missions to optimize program and race impact (i.e. tie in’s, collaborative efforts, race sponsors)
- Collaborate with others, internally and externally, in the production of materials such as brochures, newsletters, donor communications and reports to stakeholders.
- BA or BS degree and five years or more of development experience
- At least 3 years of nonprofit fundraising/development experience demonstrating success in generating revenue, specifically with individual donors
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent oral communication and ability to participate in outreach events
- Substantial evidence demonstrating ability to draft compelling fundraising proposal, pitch documents, and presentations
- Passion for GOTR’s mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-esteem, body image and whole-person health
- Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills
- Computer literacy, with experience with fundraising databases preferred as well as Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and make efficient decisions
- Car required to travel around Montgomery County
- Ability to work some nights and weekends as needed
- Experience with Girls on the Run (or other similar youth, education or wellness programs)
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Connections to the local community
- Sense of humor