Dar es Salaam
Dar es Salaam
Who we are
D-tree International is a leading digital health organization. We work to improve the quality of health systems in low and middle-income countries by exploiting digital technology in innovative ways. We are an interdisciplinary organization, working at the intersection of global health and technology. Expertise in both domains is essential to design and deploy systems which are both appropriate to particular contexts and effective in improving health outcomes. Our work is diverse, ranging from developing tools to supporting governments to engage with the private sector in Liberia, to an emergency referral system providing life-saving emergency transport to women and babies in Tanzania. We are currently supporting the Ministry of Health in Zanzibar to formalize a national digitally-enabled community health system which will utilize digital tools for more than 2,000 community health workers to provide community-level health services at scale.
These systems are cost-effective, significantly improve health systems and save lives. We are well positioned to expand our reach and global impact in 2019 and beyond. We are looking to develop new technical partnerships and diversify our in-house digital expertise with the creation of this new and exciting position.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Senior Software Developer, to work closely with the Director of Digital Solutions and manage all aspects of the Software Platforms D-tree is using to build digital systems. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with strong organization and communication skills as well as a solid background in professional Software Engineering.
You are someone who is always curious and an independent worker. You thrive in situations where you need to solve naturally underspecified problems in a creative way, because you know the best tools and the best people to tackle the challenge. You are just as comfortable learning new software platforms as you are meeting health workers in a village to understand the user experience. You have a passion for using technology to improve health systems. You are someone who can also clearly communicate about complex technical topics to non-technical audiences. You have worked as a software engineer in different roles, including with external partners and in a leading position. You are comfortable leading a team of developers, but also love to roll up your sleeves and dive into the code.
What you will do
Your main role will be to work with the Director of Digital Solutions and the D-tree technical team globally to manage all aspects of the Software Platforms used to build applications and dashboards. We support NGOs and governments to improve health systems with the technology that best fits the context. A key member of our team, you will be embedded into the Human-Centered Design process of new and existing programs, you will understand and define what it takes to build the digital health systems to improve people’s well-being and reach our program goals. You will evaluate which are the most adequate software platforms for new programs and then plan and execute the development, deployment and maintenance of mobile and web-based digital health applications. As in a good heist movie, every team member brings a unique skillset to the table. You will be the person with the coding expertise, which means you know how to develop our systems or how to work with partners to develop them. You will work with platform providers, external software developers and our team to build, configure or extend digital tools. You will define and manage the development methods and processes best suited to the task. Once applications are deployed, you will manage troubleshooting and user support and participate in continuous evaluation and improvement.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our programs succeed. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
· Minimum 5 years work experience in a fast moving software development environment, including at least 2 years’ experience managing a software engineering team
· Master’s degree in a relevant field demonstrating computer science or software engineering skills (e.g. IT, computer science, information systems)
· Superior analytic skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems
· Demonstrated experience coordinating details and processes amongst technical and non-technical stakeholders
· Experience building capacity of others to build and maintain technology
· Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Committed to solving some of the most pressing development challenges with an interdisciplinary and dedicated team
· Experience with mobile health platforms or mobile data collection tools
· Experience working with and managing external software development partners
· Experience with dashboard design and data visualization
· Experience with analytics platforms such as Periscope Data, Google Data Studio, or custom online dashboards
· Experience with backend frameworks (node.js or java based), and document-based as well as relational database systems
· Experience building Android applications
· Experience living or working in a low or middle income country, or interest in development work
· A can-do attitude: You remain optimistic in the face of adversity and creatively solve problems to get things done.
· An exceptional communicator: You understand complex technical topics and are able to communicate them effectively to non-technical audiences.
· A systems thinker: You are able to understand linkages and interactions between individual components in a health system, and design solutions to strengthen the overall system.
· An innovator: You enjoy thinking outside of the box and want to use that thinking to solve pressing global health problems.
· A detail oriented & strategic thinker: You pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency, but also have the ability to see the big picture and think strategically.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Preference for candidates within 3 hours of East Africa time
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Email the following documents to email@example.com
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet each of the required skills and experience specified above
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, showing your work history & achievements
3. Include subject: “Senior Software Developer”