Accountant for Washington DC-based media non-profit with global reach
District of Columbia
This is a fantastic full-time job with career progression opportunities for an ambitious accountant in a fast-growing environment, working as a key individual in a small but high performing team.
The Accountant will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), our outsourced providers, HR and the Office Manager and will have responsibility for all ICIJ’s accounting requirements. The Accountant will also maintain systems and procedures that support all of our financial management processes.
- Maintain up-to-date information in Quickbooks or similar software.
- Prepare cash flow reports and deliver accurate and rigorous revenue and expense variance analysis, clearly highlighting drivers of financial performance.
- Deliver ad-hoc financial/commercial analysis, modelling and reporting including profitability assessment for specific funding projects, or projects associated with ICIJ ongoing operations.
- Manage outsourced semi-monthly payroll processing and monitor ICIJ’s retirement contribution and annual leave.
- Perform all month-end processing, accruals, adjustments, review of general ledger transactions, trial balances and activity statements.
- Assist with management of travel and other work expense reimbursement through an online expense management system.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations with the office manager.
- Work with our outsourced payment gateway to ensure that all transactions are coded correctly.
- Liaise with our Grants Manager & reconcile monthly donations.
- Manage all GL interphases.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process with vendors; coordinate the preparation and filing of other tax forms (IRS-990, etc.)
- Lead ICIJ’s annual audit preparation including providing materials and schedules to the auditors as required.
- File all accounting records, including but not limited to vendor payments, bank reconciliations, deposit records, payroll records, funder grants.
- Other duties as required
- Accounting degree.
- CPA qualifications an advantage but not critical.
- Experience in management accounting with a good understanding of financial accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills with a can-do attitude.
- 4+ years of experience working in a non-profit or professional environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), laws, regulations, and internal policies related to the areas of responsibility.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as in a team environment.
- High level of PC literacy particularly in Excel & Word.
ICIJ is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBT+, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply. To work out of ICIJ’s Washington, D.C., office, candidates must be U.S. citizen or already have a valid work visa to work in the United States.
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) is a global network of more than 200 of the world’s best reporters in 70 countries who collaborate on large-scale investigations on issues that do not stop at national frontiers: cross-border crime, corruption, and the accountability of power. Recent projects include the Paradise Papers, Panama Papers, the Evicted and Abandoned investigation into the impact of World Bank projects, Skin and Bone and more.
Minimum Education Required